I Burnt My Wasc Cake...just Had To Share

Decorating By ape74 Updated 14 Dec 2008 , 2:36pm by JenniferMI

ape74 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 6:35am
post #1 of 5

Well, I finally tired kakeladi's WASC recipe. Everything went fine, up until the moment that I got my cake out of the oven and released it from my pan.....AAAAAHHHHH!!!! I couldn't believe it. icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif It didn't even smell like something was burning. I should have known though. Normally, my cakes are done in 30 minutes in these pans that I used and at exactly 30 minutes into the baking, it started to smell wonderfully. I checked it anyway with a toothpick and since the toothpick wasn't completely clean, I left it for another 5 mins. Wow, 5 mins sure makes a difference. I guess that is the way the recipe is...moist. I should have taken it out. Anyway, it burned like on half of the bottom and on one side in each pan. I tried scraping it a little. I still covered them in plastic wrap and refrigerated them. Maybe after they're cold I can scrape some more and try to salvage them. Keep in mind that all these cakes I'm making are just for family and practice so I guess that is how I'll learn right? Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do in this situation other than tossing it in the trash and starting again. I plan to try again, but I won't have time and this weekend anymore and this cake is for Saturday. I'm so disappointed and discouraged. icon_sad.gif

4 replies
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 5

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you! I love to bake the WASC cake and haven't had one burn. I usually have to bake it for longer than the instructions say too.

When you say they were burned on just half the bottom and one side, were those side facing the center of the oven? Maybe there is something wrong with the heating element and your oven has stopped heating evenly? Hmm, I'm not sure how to check that though. Maybe line up some bread slices and see if any of them brown before the others. Then you would know if you needed to call for a repair.

I hope you get some other advice so you can figure it out because that is such a great cake recipe. Good luck!

jammjenks Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 5

It sounds to me like your oven is not heating properly.

ape74 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you for your responses. You may be right. I will put it to the test.

JenniferMI Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 5

Next time, you might lower your temp a little bit. Sounds like it could be your oven is to hot.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%