Fondant Bow On Buttercream Cake ?

Decorating By ddog Updated 14 Dec 2008 , 2:21am by ddog

ddog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddog Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 5:02am
post #1 of 5

How far in advance can I put a fondant bow on a cake iced in buttercream? My fear is that the buttercream will break down the fondant.
OR, would it be better to use a gumpaste bow?

Thanks. The cake is for a friends 21st b-day and I am not experienced with fondant and gumpaste, but I want it to be really nice for her.

4 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 5:13am
post #2 of 5

For best results, make your bow from 50/50 gumpaste and fondant (or any ratio of gumpaste to fondant as long as there's MORE gumpaste) or fondant with tylose powder mixed in. You run the risk of your bow wilting if you use straight fondant - even before you get it on the cake!

A fondant/gumpaste bow can sit on a buttercream cake for days. But, let's hope it doesn't have to. icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 6:05am
post #3 of 5

..........A fondant/gumpaste bow can sit on a buttercream cake for days. But, let's hope it doesn't have to.........

hehehe....I once had a cake w/straight fondat loopy bow on b'cream in the frig for some 5-7 days w/o a problemicon_smile.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 6:29am
post #4 of 5

I make mine all the time fresh and add them to te cake.. They hold well..believe it...Check my video..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOTdwsbgDV8&feature=channel_page
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

ddog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddog Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 2:21am
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much for replying! As suggested, I will use fondant/gumpaste. Yall have set my mind at ease because I only need it on there for about a day. Also edna, I really enjoyed your video THANKYOU!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%