Marble Cake????

Baking By auntmamie Updated 15 Dec 2008 , 4:52am by sayhellojana

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:16am
post #1 of 6

Can anyone provide a scratch recipe for a marble cake? I've had a request for a little girls birthday, so I'd like one w/o almond flavoring - just vanilla. The cake is a 2 tier 4" & 6", so I think a single batch recipe will be more than enough.

Thanks so much in advance!

5 replies
7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 6

A marble cake is just a white or yellow cake swirled with chocolate batter. I keep a cup or two of batter out and mix in some cocoa, then dollop it around and swirl with a knife.
As far as I know any white or yellow recipe that you like will work.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 6

Make sure you use the same recipe and just add cocoa, or else the batters might not bake at the same rate and that is just a mess. Spoon in the colors alternately and give it a few good taps so the air in between goes away.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 7:51pm
post #4 of 6

And flavors can be swapped out. If a recipe calls for almond, and you dont' want almong, just use vanilla instead.

I never use almond flavoring for anything, no matter what the recipe says.

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 10:09pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you all so much! icon_biggrin.gif Now for making the cake look princess-y!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 4:52am
post #6 of 6

Oh, I totally didn't realise you were asking for a recipe too! So sorry. Serious_Cakes yellow cake recipe is delicious and soft and easy. I tried it two weeks ago and have already made 3 of them, and today I added cinnamon and orange zest to make orange spice cakes. Yummers! My point is that it is a very versatile recipe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYQ-dryteww&feature=channel_page (link to the youtube video)

ngredients:
2 3/4 c. all purpose flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 c. shortening
2 c. sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 c. milk

The video has all the instructions and shows her making it, so you'll know if things look correct or not. Easy recipe, very good. And its very white cake, not yellow at all. I'm sure you could add some cocoa powder to this without trouble.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%