Help With Snow White Buttercream...

Decorating By IloveYorkies85 Updated 16 Dec 2008 , 4:45pm by GI

IloveYorkies85 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 2:50am
post #1 of 10

I made Snow white wilton bc for the first time tonight. Normally I use something else, but I had all the ingredients handy, so I gave it a try. At first it seemed okay. Then I iced my two layer square cake, and its "bulging" I think is the term? Icing is sliding downwards from the two layers. . . I just iced the whole thing and put it in the fridge hoping to make it stop whatever its doing. I tried to correct it..... not working. It seems to thin now... I dont have time to do anything else. I dont know what I did wrong...... please help with any suggestions!!!

Never again snow white buttercream!!! icon_sad.gif

9 replies
IloveYorkies85 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:10am
post #2 of 10

should I just let it sit in the fridge over night??

staceyboots Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:16am
post #3 of 10

can you post the ingredient quantities that you used? maybe you can try adding some icing sugar (1/2 cup at a time) to the frosting.

maybe damming your layers may help as well

IloveYorkies85 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 10

Its the wilton snow white recipe (would post but im running out the door for work). I let it sit in the fridge over night along with the rest of the batch of icing. It looks okay, but I also couldnt smooth it like I normally do with viva. I guess I should have looked more into it first. It doesn't look that great though.... hope she likes it! and hope it doesnt fall off the side of the cake later!

tonedna Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 10

I use that recipe all the time. Are you using high ratio shortening? It makes a huge difference.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 10

That is the recipe I use 98% ofthe time - the only time I had trouble was when they did the trans fat free change, since using hi-ratio, no problems at all. (I do not refrigerate mine though)

ranbel Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:41pm
post #7 of 10

Ok, I need someone to tell me where to purchase hi-ratio shortning. I mainly shop at wal-mart and they don't carry it.
I live in North Florida and the stores we have are: Publix, Winn Dixie, Food Lion, that is all I can think of at the moment.

Thanks,..

nanahaley Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:47pm
post #8 of 10

I live in north Florida also and I have those same stores. I ordered mine from Country Kitchen. That Wilton recipe is the one I use also and only had problems when the Crisco changed. No problems now with hi-ratio.

fba322 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 4:27pm
post #9 of 10

I have switched from Crisco to the Sam's choice shortening for my hi-ratio. No problems with it, and you can always get an off brand shortening wherever you shop.

GI Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 4:45pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranbel

Ok, I need someone to tell me where to purchase hi-ratio shortning. I mainly shop at wal-mart and they don't carry it.
I live in North Florida and the stores we have are: Publix, Winn Dixie, Food Lion, that is all I can think of at the moment.

Thanks,..

Do you have a Cash-n-Carry? They carry it. Otherwise, you would have to get it on-line. It is indeed worth it. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%