? About Cake Balls (I'm Doing Them For The 1St Time Tonight)

Decorating By Carolynlovescake Updated 12 Dec 2008 , 8:29pm by BigTexinWV

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 1:49am
post #1 of 9

Ok I have them in the freezer.

I did white cake with raspberry flavored coffee mate and balled them up then stuck them in the freezer.

If I do them with a buttercream layer between the ball and chocolate do I freeze them for awhile then add the buttercream layer? If so do I just mush bc around the ball as best as I can to get it covered then refreeze it before dipping it in the chocolate?

I found a bag fo orange candy melts left over from Halloween in a bin with red candy coloring... I'm going to make red and then drizzle some green over it.

If all goes well I'll send them to work with hubby tomorrow.

8 replies
Carolynlovescake Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 2:56am
post #2 of 9

Ok, the best way to learn is to just do.

I donned my gloves, put some buttercream in a bowl and went to it. They are all covered now in buttercream and half went back in the freezer to set for dipping in chocolate.

The other half are on a plate. Hubby refused to allow me to dip some in chocolate and said it was just wrong to do it.

The double boiler is boiling and as soon as that is ready to go I'll melt my chocolate and start dipping.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:09am
post #3 of 9

Oh I've never coated mine w/b'cream.....just dipped the 'naked' ball in choco.
I'm afraide even w/having frozen them the b'cream will come off due to the warm choco needed.

Carolynlovescake Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 5:42am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Oh I've never coated mine w/b'cream.....just dipped the 'naked' ball in choco.
I'm afraide even w/having frozen them the b'cream will come off due to the warm choco needed.

yeah that was exactly what happened.

I called my girlfriend who I thought did that and she laughed and called me a name.

She said that she mixed the crumbs with the liquid to make the doughy mix then added BC to it and froze them. Then she dipped that into the chocolate.

I learned a couple things that I won't do again... toothpick in the cake ball. yeah that didn't work.

I think I'll get a set of dipping tongs at work tomorrow when I go by and try it again with them.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 6:00am
post #5 of 9

Oh we all live & learn along the wayicon_smile.gif
Yah, the toothpick didn't work for me either.
I just use a fork.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 6:00am
post #6 of 9

I'm confused...you tried to coat the ball with frosting, then dip That in chocolate? lol. I've never heard of anyone doing that before. I know that lots of CCers used buttercream to mush up the cake, like you did with the creamer. Personally, I like to use coconut milk. Even if its not coconut cake. The flavor is so mild and the texture is wonderful.

lil_cake_lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lil_cake_lady Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 6:19am
post #7 of 9

Thanks for sharing... I'm planning on making cake balls for a friend's engagement party in a couple of weeks and I've never made them before. At least I know in advance what I shouldn't do.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:08pm
post #8 of 9

I just add a tiny bit of butterceam to the cake mixture (mix it in the Kitchen Aid). If I had to guess, I add about 2 T. of icing to a one mix cake crumbled up. I just roll them and dip them, no chilling. In fact, I've found if the cake is chilled, the choc. cracks. I use a swirl dipper stick, works GREAT for dipping them!!!

HTH!

Jen icon_smile.gif

BigTexinWV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigTexinWV Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 8:29pm
post #9 of 9

I am sorry to hear the the toothpicks did not work for a few of you guys. I always use toothpicks. I just have to work really fast. Working in batches of 20-25.

Once My DH bought me the super cheap toothpicks and they would break off in the cake balls. (not cool) icon_mad.gif

The Toothpicks are really easy to take out immediately after dipping so they do not leave a mark. I tried using a fork icon_redface.gif they looked so bad.

Oh well, different strokes for different folks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%