Fondant Vs Gumpaste Bow

Decorating By FullHouse Updated 12 Dec 2008 , 1:50am by tracey1970

FullHouse Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 1:05am
post #1 of 4

I've made a few bows out of fondant and always lose a few loops to breaking during assembly (luckily I've never lost more than the extras I made). I've used Wilton for my bows because the MMF recipe from this site doesn't seem to dry firmly when I use it. I've noticed that some people make their bows out of fondant, some out of gumpaste, and others use a mix. I like the fact that the bow can be eaten when its fondant (yes, my kids actually even enjoy the Wilton fondant), but would like a sturdier bow.

I have to make a bow tonight to use on a cake this weekend. Is it better to use gumpaste, fondant or a mixture of both? How long should I leave it to dry before assembly? Thanks so much.

3 replies
leah_s Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 1:25am
post #2 of 4

Fondant needs several days to dry - like 4 or 5 in my experience, to be thoroughly dry. Gumpaste can be ready in hours. Since it's already Thursday, I think I'd suggest a 50/50 mix of gumpaste and fondant.

FullHouse Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 1:33am
post #3 of 4

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't realize fondant needed 4-5 days to dry, I've only been giving it 1-2 days, I guess that explains my problems with cracking.

tracey1970 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 1:50am
post #4 of 4

I too use a 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpaste and give my bow loops a good week to dry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%