Real Flowers Or Gum Paste Flowers

Decorating By MissyTex Updated 12 Dec 2008 , 3:12pm by JenniferMI

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 12:18am
post #1 of 6

I'm doing a wedding cake for a friend of a friend. I usually only do cakes for people I know and I'm giving them a good price. They want roses on the cake and I've told them about gum paste flowers. They don't seem to care if they are real or gum paste. What would you use and why?

thanks!

5 replies
mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 12:28am
post #2 of 6

Well, I would do gum paste roses. I like them better. They just look better to me. Plus I even though I haven't ever done a cake with them on it, I have done one with real roses and I did not care for them.

I think it's the satisfaction of knowing you made every inch of the cake right down to the flowers that does it for me!!!

Good luck and I am sure what ever you decide will look great!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 12:48am
post #3 of 6

If you use real flowers you cant put them directly on the cake or have them touch the cake. They also will have to have some kind of water pick to keep them looking fresh. They also should be pesticide free.
I prefer making the flowers because of not only the satisfaction but also for people to be wowed when they find out that their not real flowers! Also, the bride can keep them in a container and they will last forever!
And finally, real flowers cost more!!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:11am
post #4 of 6

yah, what they said ^^^ icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:50am
post #5 of 6

ditto. gumpaste. And if you don't want to make them you can buy them. www.AvalonDeco.com

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:12pm
post #6 of 6

To me, cake is an art form. Gumpaste flowers just kick the whole thing up a notch....

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%