Using Duff's Ri Technique....help?

Decorating By karateka Updated 13 Dec 2008 , 4:01am by karateka

karateka  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a mountain cake with a train track going up around it. I am using Duff's technique of drying green RI and crushing it to add texture to my mountain and trees.

Any idea how I should "glue" it to the fondant? I can't remember what Duff used.....piping gel?

4 replies
 JoAnnB  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 5

Piping gel should work great

kandu001  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 5

I remember the episode, but I wish I could remember what he used...sorry! If it comes to me I will let you know, otherwise piping gel does sound great!

Kayakado  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 5

He usd that technioque for the Harry Potter cake and the I think the one for the broadway musical but I can't remember its name. It was the one at the same time he did the Paula Deen blue velvet guitar cake

karateka  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 4:01am
post #5 of 5

Well.....I went downstairs to get my piping gel, and it was yellow. Like a gross looking yellow. Which isn't what it looked like when I bought it, which admittedly was a while ago. I couldn't spare the run to the store time so I used corn syrup. It's staying so far, but some of the larger chunks dislodge when you move the cake. Here's a pic, wish me luck. The father of the birthday girl is picking it up tomorrow.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1293801

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%