Cake Colapse!!....how In The World Do You Carve!?!

Decorating By BlondiezBakery Updated 11 Dec 2008 , 11:06pm by KoryAK

BlondiezBakery Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 5

Well...I was making my first ever topsy turvy. it WAS going to be a 10", 8",and 6". I started aggressive and attacked the 10" first. I also went really agressive by trying to carve it from a big top to a small bottom. It went well at first, until I tried putting fondant on it.

Once the weight of the fondant hit it...it crumbled!!!! So...now I have a topsy turvy cake that is just an 8" and 6". It is still going to turn out..but not like I wanted. My 6" and 8" are just normal cakes with the slanted top...no carving.

How do you awesome ladies do it!?! Was my cake too moist? Did I carve too much away for my topsy turvy look!?!

Also...any tips for incing a carved cake!?! I think my cakes may be too moist. If they are fresh or chilled they are so stinking hard to ice unless I have my brown edges...

4 replies
KoryAK Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 5

How far WERE you carving down the 10"? what was the bottom diameter?

KoryAK Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 5

duplicate post

BlondiezBakery Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 5

I was carving from a 10" top to an 8" bottom.

What ultimatly caused the problem was when I went in and added my 'hole' for the 2nd tier to sit on. So, basically it left this little flimsy edge that had no support around it or under it.

So the little ledge was the first thing to go....then before long I noticed the entire top of the cake falling flat like a pancake. It want from a 4" tall 10" round.....to a 2" tall and 12" round.

Once I saw the collapse begin...I knew she was a gonner. icon_sad.gif

KoryAK Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 5

The way I do it is to assemble and carve the tier upside down... then use the upside-down method for icing it... then chill it completely before adding fondant. If the tier above was 8" at top and 6" at base, then you only need to cut out a 7" hole. I cut the hole out AFTER it is completely buttercreamed and chilled. Then just re-buttercream the inner sides and flat space. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%