What Does A Red Velet Cake Taste Like?

Decorating By marion123 Updated 19 Dec 2008 , 4:17am by Kitagrl

marion123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marion123 Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 31

I was asked to make a red velet cake for the holidays and I have never made one, what does it taste like and what is the best frosting to go on top of it?

I was thinking about topping it with raspberries.. What do you guys do?

As Always, thank you !!

30 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 31

Red velvet cake is basically a light version of chocolate cake with red food coloring. It has a small about of chocolate in it. It is usually paired with cream cheese frosting or a whipped topping.

I can't imagine what rasberries would be like with the cake... I am thinking it would be fine. Don't really know why not.....

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 31

Red velvet cake is basically a light version of chocolate cake with red food coloring. It has a small about of chocolate in it. It is usually paired with cream cheese frosting or a whipped topping.

I can't imagine what rasberries would be like with the cake... I am thinking it would be fine. Don't really know why not.....

aimers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aimers Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 31

To me it tastes like Sugar Cookies and Cream Cheese Frosting is the way to go icon_smile.gif

aimers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aimers Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 31

To me it tastes like Sugar Cookies and Cream Cheese Frosting is the way to go icon_smile.gif

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 31

wild, I have some in my oven now, little mini cupcakes. I am doing a tasting.. anyway, I agree a light fluffy chocolate cake with red color... there is a buttery taste due to the buttermilk and margarine used in it as well. Some people also use pecans in/on thier cream cheese icing... super good cake in my opinion, I was raised in the South, so it is staple here in Bama!

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 31

i've always said it tastes red. the first time i ever made it, i told my dh it tasted red and he laughed at me. then i brought it to christmas dinner, where my cousin said, 'this cake tastes red'. i knew i wasn't crazy!

the best frosting for red velvet is mary kay. yum!!

jescapades Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 8:46pm
post #8 of 31

delete

jescapades Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 8:48pm
post #9 of 31

sorry, multiple post

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 8:50pm
post #10 of 31

It taste like chocolate cake, I think raspberries will be fine!! icon_smile.gif

Frankyola Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 8:51pm
post #11 of 31

double post

Frankyola Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 8:53pm
post #12 of 31

It taste like chocolate cake, I think raspberries will be fine!! icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 9:20pm
post #13 of 31

I don't think it tastes like chocolate cake at all. It has a taste of it's own and you eighter like it or you don't. I personally wouldn't put rasberries on it but that's just me. The best recipe I have found is Sara's on this site but I believe she removed it.

TyTy78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TyTy78 Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 9:24pm
post #14 of 31

I'm in the south and it is staple...My mother LOVES red velvet cake with coconut pecan frosting. But you have to be careful because lots of people are allergic to coconut. Ohterwise cream cheese frosting is the way to go. Just my opinion.

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 9:29pm
post #15 of 31

In the recipes that I have tried, I didn't really think you could taste the chocolate at all. I agree with SugarBakerz - it has a strong buttery taste. It is absolutely delicious with cream cheese frosting. I personally think raspberries would not go well with it. Red Velvet is something that you definitely need to try to understand!

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 9:32pm
post #16 of 31

I forgot to add - PinkCakeBox has an excellent recipe for both Red Velvet cake and Cream Cheese Icing on her blog. You should check it out. It is a very moist and absolutely delicious cake!

DenaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DenaK Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 9:33pm
post #17 of 31

I agree that it has a chocolate flavor, because of the cocoa used in it, but not the traditional chocolate that you would think of it a regular chocolate cake, more mild. I found that it tastes better on the second and third day after you make, because the flavors deepen and pairs beautifully with a cream cheese frosting, in particular a white chocolate cream cheese frosting. I'm actually doing a wedding cake in these flavors next week! If you can make the cake two or three days before and wrap it well, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much better it becomes.

RoseCitySugarcraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 9:33pm
post #18 of 31

I agree w/ Tiggy. Traditional Red Velvet cake has a very unique flavor. There are only 2 Tblspn's cocoa in the recipe I use, so it only adds the SLIGHTEST hint of chocolate flavor. And its unique flavor IS a true "love-it-or-hate-it" kinda thing.

With its very light, moist texture, and unique flavor, cream cheese icing, however popular, is (imho) too heavy-handed to pair it with RVC. I use something like a 7-minute frosting, or a light IMBC.

The best recipe I've found for RVC is one off of Food Network's website. The handful they have there are mostly very similar, and I don't have credit written down for the one I use. But read through the reviews of each for opinions to find one you like.

HTH, happy baking, and Happy Holidays everyone!

~ Scott

marion123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marion123 Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 9:40pm
post #19 of 31

thank you so much everyone.. I actually printed "Cake Man Raven's " receipe and I'm going to also print PinkCakeBox 's.. I'll 86 the raspberries, so it will just be the frosting on top.

Thank you so much.. As always, you guys are the best!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 9:41pm
post #20 of 31

I agree that RV is a love it or hate it flavor of cake. I think it's horrid.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 9:45pm
post #21 of 31

Red Velvet is not a chocolate cake. The cocoa used is minimal and is there to balance the red food coloring. It is a unique cake unto its own --much like a German Chocolate Cake in that it is hard to duplicate the blend/layering of flavors in any other form. I'm a traditionalist and use only the cooked flour frosting for RVC. I know, I know... others swear by the cream cheese, but it's truly not the original pairing (not that cream cheese is bad with it, but it's just not traditional.) Once you've had the cooked frosting you understand why Red Velvet is so unique. My recipe is old and very southern handed down by my grandmother. I think she started making it in the late fifties. I agree with the poster who stated it only gets better with age. It's always a cake I make at least a day ahead knowing that it will taste even better after it has had time for all the flavors to meld.

RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 9:58pm
post #22 of 31

Win,

Oh my! I grew up w/ a cooked flour filling/icing used in my grandmother's chocolate birthday cakes! I don't have that recipe, as she sadly passed away last summer.

Could you please send me yours? I'd be forever grateful!

Thanks MUCH in advance! icon_biggrin.gif

~ Scott

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 10:15pm
post #23 of 31

Scott, here you go... (typed as written and passed down to me)

3 tbs flour
1 cup milk (whole)
1 cup butter (butter, not margarine --and I use unsalted)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla

"Cook until thick the flour and milk. Cool that mixture and be sure it's cool! Cream together butter and sugar. Add vanilla, then beat the two mixtures together until they are the consistency of whipped cream."

My note: Make sure to stir the flour and milk while it is cooking so that it is a smooth consistency. I'm sure this is the same recipe as "Mary Kay Frosting" mentioned above... my grammy just didn't have it noted as such. It is awesome! And, yes, pairs well with a dark chocolate cake like Scott mentioned. .

Edited to add my notes.

nicole379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicole379 Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 10:21pm
post #24 of 31

If I use this cooked frosting as a filling for a red velvet cake I'm making next week...would it need to be refrigerated?

RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 10:22pm
post #25 of 31

You're a GEM, Win! Thank you very much!

~ Scott

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 2:24am
post #26 of 31

I love white chocolate cream cheese frosting on red velvet cake. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:51am
post #27 of 31

There's a bakery chain here that offered RV and I was so excited to try it. It was awful! It tasted like chocolate cake with red coloring. UGH. I'd rather make my own RV, thank you very much. And yeah I use the flour/milk icing too since cream cheese is so expensive here.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 1:45am
post #28 of 31

Win, thanks, I think I am going to try this one... does it need to be kept cold?

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 2:01am
post #29 of 31

I use the Southern Red Velvet II recipe found on this site. I'm fairly sure its the same as cakeman Ravens. Anywho, it's absolutely delicious. Red Velvet doesnt taste like cocoa. It tastes sweet, like buttermilk and like oil. It's a vanilla-chocolate cake with red food coloring, not a chocolate cake. It's very, very good with cream cheese icing.

pastrygirl33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirl33 Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 4:05am
post #30 of 31

I just have to answer to this. I agree with the people who say you either love it or hate it. I personally hate it and so did most of the people who have tried it. I have asked around. This is NOT a cake we eat here in Quebec. But I myself and my friends agreed that it tastes very similar to a JOS. LOUIS cake that is made here in Canada. But Red Velvet does not at all taste like chocolate, I have made it with both cream cheese frosting and the cooked flour frosting and am not excited about either. I really think people get very happy thinking they are eating something that made it's way into a movie and is somewhat famous as to be very popular with todays stars. But eh? I'm Canadian what do I know right?Hahaha But I have to stress UGH!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%