How Long Will A Fondant Covered Cake Keep Fresh?

Decorating By stephaniescakenj Updated 12 Dec 2008 , 6:04pm by jessienj

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 4:38am
post #1 of 4

Question for you all....How long does an uncut cake keep fresh that is covered in fondant?

I made a cake in a class on Sunday, it's a chocolate cake that was baked on Saturday morning, filled and crumb coated with IMBC which was made late saturday night. On Sunday we decorated the cakes and covered in Satin Ice. My intention was to eat the cake on thursday night but the party was postponed to Sunday. the cake has been out in my sunroom in a sealed box since Sunday, it's been in the 30's here with the exception of today, it got a little warmer but its expected to go back down again for the rest of the week. So my question, do you think the cake will still be good on Sunday? I'm thinking it will be frozen after tonight and has likely been frozen all week. it's for my own birthday so its for my own consumption. I would put it in the freezer, but I have absolutely no room. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

3 replies
kbak37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbak37 Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 5:15am
post #2 of 4

At those temps it should be fine..I made a wedding cake on a Saturday, crub coated and fondant on Sunday and the wedding was on a Wed....I was told the cake was very moist and good and no reports of sickness. It sat on my kitchen counter the whole time, HTH!

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 4:59am
post #3 of 4

Thanks! My cake will actually be out for a whole week. i was thinking I'd be pushing it by leaving it til thursday. I just checked on it. It's low 30's here and the cake is rock hard right now. I'm not sure if it's frozen but it's definitely really cold. I'll guess I'll just have to cut it sunday and see what happens.

jessienj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessienj Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 4

It should be fine since it has been pretty cold lately.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%