Fondant Or Buttercream

Decorating By majormichel Updated 12 Dec 2008 , 3:18pm by aundron

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 2:15am
post #1 of 7

I am thinking about switch to all fondant cakes. The local food store sells regular decorated cakes, but I want to be different and try something else. I cannot compete with the foodstore prices, so to keep business going I want to decorate with fondant and use different unique designes for my cakes.

What is your opinion?

6 replies
smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 2:26am
post #2 of 7

I personally do not see the point in limiting yourself to one medium unless it is something that you want to only do. I like working with fondant personally, I cannot get BC smooth easily. But I also like to keep the option open for someone who might want a BC design.

I would say do what is best for you. You could promote the fondant aspect to help give you an edge over the local bakers, but if you go fondant only and someone wants BC, they will have to go to your competition.

Stephanie

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 3:42am
post #3 of 7

It might be to your advantage to make fondant your speciality but don't limit yourself to it as the only way to decorate.
Maybe learn to do 3-d also. OR super over the top highly decorated things rather than the average b'day b'c items.
Search google (images) to find a style that you can adapt & refine as *your* style.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 12:10am
post #4 of 7

I wouldn't limit yourself to fondant alone. If someone comes to you because of your talent and wants buttercream, I would do a buttercream cake for them.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 7

I would not limit myself either, but, if you are offering fondant, make sure it's a TASTY fondant. Soooo important!!!

Jen icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 7

I work strictly in fondant. Buttercream isn't suited to my design style, and I don't like the looks of buttercream with fondant accents, so I do all-fondant, only. It hasn't hurt my biz at all.

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 7

I still do BC cakes, but I've narrowed it down to only sheetcakes and fun birthday cakes.

I will no longer do wedding cakes in BC. I totally suck at it!! icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%