Marketing Offer I Give My Brides

Business By cakesdivine Updated 12 Dec 2008 , 3:09pm by cakesdivine

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 1:24am
post #1 of 12

Several years ago (during my divorce) I was really strapped for cash over the holidays, but I had about 6 or 7 wedding cakes on the books for the new year. All I could think was that if I could just get a couple of those brides to go ahead and pay their balances I would be able to give my kids a Christmas (yes things were that bad). So I sent letters offering each bride a 10% discount off their total order if they paid their remaining balance by the 15th of December. I was quite surprised that more than half actually took me up on the offer. So every year since then I do the samething. It always gives me some extra cash during the holidays, and my brides that accept always feel like they are getting a great deal. It doesn't hurt my bottom line, and I usually end up getting referrals from those brides to help offset the discounts.

Because I recently moved here, and am still building my biz in this area, I don't have as many pending wedding cakes as in years past, but I sent the emails out anyway and EVERY bride accepted! This year because of my husbands unexpected cancer and his kidney removal surgery has really put us in financial straits so I was so thankful that all my pending 2009 brides accepted my offer.

Maybe some of you other bakery owners who are feeling the bite of this economy might want to do this same sort of offer. You might be surprised at the response you get!

PM me if you want the wording of the email I sent them.

11 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 2:44am
post #2 of 12

Thanks for the info. Hope hubby is well soon

cakesdivine Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 2:50am
post #3 of 12

He is doing great it's just the nearly $30,000 we owe doctors & the hospital that is killing us icon_sad.gif

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 3:11am
post #4 of 12

I know how you feel with all those hospital bills. It's ridiculous. I can't believe how much we put out for doctors and hospital visits just in this last year. I couldn't imagine if we didn't have insurance icon_eek.gif I hope your hubby stays well and those bills go away!!!!!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 3:14am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

He is doing great it's just the nearly $30,000 we owe doctors & the hospital that is killing us icon_sad.gif

Amen sister. I have a son who has had two surgeries so far and will require many, many more, and we are in debt even with good insurance. I try not to get too deep into debt in any other area, (no credit cards, etc.) but this area is non-negotiable, you know?

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 3:27am
post #6 of 12

Cakesdivine... my sister was just diagnosed with kidney cancer yesterday. They say they can remove the kidney and that should get rid of the cancer. Did your husband have the same thing done?? What are we in for, if you don't mind me asking. Is there a long recovery time??

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 12:32am
post #7 of 12

I'm glad this works for you. However I am wondering...if they are paying everything up front now and you are using that money for Christmas, bills, etc. where will you get the money for ingredients and supplies when it comes time to make the cakes?

With my orders, I require a 50% non-refundable deposit. This is my "play" money (or buy kids clothes or pay bills or whatever). The rest of the money is due 3 weeks before the event and I use that money to purchase all my ingredients and stuff.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 12:53am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

I'm glad this works for you. However I am wondering...if they are paying everything up front now and you are using that money for Christmas, bills, etc. where will you get the money for ingredients and supplies when it comes time to make the cakes?

With my orders, I require a 50% non-refundable deposit. This is my "play" money (or buy kids clothes or pay bills or whatever). The rest of the money is due 3 weeks before the event and I use that money to purchase all my ingredients and stuff.

I do the same thing....But I do a save the date depsosit and 1/2 3months before the event and other 1/2 2 weeks before the event. I would be mortified if I didnt have the cash to pay for the ingredients...I'm not sure that is smart business, and I don't want to lose 10%. I have to work darn hard for what I make!!!

cakesdivine Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 1:40am
post #9 of 12

I also charge a $200 booking fee when they place the order. I'm not worried about not having the money when it is time for their cake, I will have more bookings come in, plus I also have a full time day job as well, we are just strapped right now because of the surgery. It isn't always that way, and usually only about 20% of my booked clients (usually the ones who have a wedding within the first few months of the New Year) actually accept the offer. If more than what I expect take me up on the offer, I make sure I save enough funds to cover their cake expenses. If you have steady bookings this just allows you to get a little extra funds in for the holiday season. Also, makes the hassles of the collection process right before the event non-existant!

cakesdivine Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 1:40am
post #10 of 12

I also charge a $200 booking fee when they place the order. I'm not worried about not having the money when it is time for their cake, I will have more bookings come in, plus I also have a full time day job as well, we are just strapped right now because of the surgery. It isn't always that way, and usually only about 20% of my booked clients (usually the ones who have a wedding within the first few months of the New Year) actually accept the offer. If more than what I expect take me up on the offer, I make sure I save enough funds to cover their cake expenses. If you have steady bookings this just allows you to get a little extra funds in for the holiday season. Also, makes the hassles of the collection process right before the event non-existant!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 2:38am
post #11 of 12

I had the same concern as cakesbycathy, so I'm glad to see you have a backup plan.

I had a groom ask if I gave a discount if they paid all of it upfront (a year in advance!) and I said no. He said the venue gave them a discount "....and they got to use the money for a year." I said, "I dont' get to use the money for a year. I would use it to pay the rent this month, then a year from now I'd STILL have to buy supplies and pay my staff and put gas in the van, etc. Plus a year from now, the price of everything will cost more, so if I gave a discount to you day, I'd lose money on the deal." Then I explained how the venue just has to pay their rent 12 times a year regardless ... I have to pay my rent AND buy your food supplies. It's just not a win-win deal for me to do that.

Plus 10% of a catering package would reduce my income from $250 to $500 or more. If 10 clients took advantage of this kind of offer, I have the potential of losing $5000.

cakesdivine Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:09pm
post #12 of 12

something must be up with CC and all the double, triple, and quadruple postings...I know I only hit the submit key once icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%