Using Cake Glitter

Decorating By Tilleh Updated 18 Dec 2008 , 2:28am by kakeladi

Tilleh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tilleh Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 12

Hi all icon_smile.gif

Just got a little tub of cake glitter for both my brothers christmas cake and my daughters birthday cake. I am not sure how to use it and can't find anything online. I will be using it on the whole cake for my brother (im doing a snowy looking cake, hence the glitter covering). Does anyone know what I use to stick this stuff on? as I read that using water with luster dust made it go funny and thought the glitter might be the same.

This is the stuff, in case some of you don't know what I mean:
http://www.splatcooking.net/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=275

Also, for my little girl I am making a simple fairy cake hopefully, so do any of you have any ideas for decorating it? I would love to make something really fussy, but ££ is a bit tight at the minute.. so I won't be doing that this year! Any simple(ish) ideas would be much appreciated.

Sorry, yet another question - is this glitter fine to eat? as the site I bought it from (and others) say it is, yet i've seen conflicting opinions online..

Thank you icon_smile.gif

11 replies
Krumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krumbs Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 12:18am
post #2 of 12

if you frost your cake with butter cream, the glitter will stick to that, if needed make the butter cream a little soft.
If you cover your cake with fondant you can try to brush it with a mixture of gum paste mix and warm water. I used that technique before and it works.

Do not overdo the glitter, it's fine to eat in small amounts.
good luck

Tilleh Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks

Can you give me an example of the sort of paste I need to buy please? I can only find stuff for what seems like making different decorations, such as flowers.

Any ideas for the fairy cake would also be appreciated by anyone!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 1:23am
post #4 of 12

That stuff will give you lots! of glittery looksicon_smile.gif Just use a *dry* brush to put it on fondant. No need to mix it w/anything - especially watericon_sad.gif
For b'cream make sure it is very fine. If necessary take a wooden spoon handle and crush it in the jar, then put it in a salt shaker w/very small holes and sprinkle it on as soon as you finish decorating.
Not sure what you are refering to when you ask about paste.......sorry. Do you want to cover the cake w/sugarpaste?
I get the distinct opinion you are in the UK so words/terms are different than what we use in the U.S.

Tilleh Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks kakeladi and yes the terms get me a little confused sometimes,sorry!

My concern is that my icing is ready rolled and quite smooth, if I put the glitter on *(was planning on sieving it on) then it will just blow off again. I was thinking it would be better to have something to hold it on to the cake a little firmer.

Hope that makes sense.

I need to get it decorated in the next few days, so any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 12

i know luster dust contains some of its own glue, maybe this glitters the same? maybe do test patch on some spare fondant, and see if it sticks dry, if water stops it looking so good, maybe try some vodka, or edible glue.
xx

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 11:30pm
post #7 of 12

if you're using fondant, you can apply the dust with a fluffy paint brush. I'll take a pic of mine and pm it to you if that description doesn't make sense. If it still doesn't stick to the cake, you can mix the dust with vodka, everclear, lemon, raspberry extracts. I like to use raspberry, it gives the fondant a nice taste but lemon dries faster. I personally don't use the liquors, but I know many other people like that because the alcohol evaporates and leaves no aftertaste. I'm not going to go out and buy a whole bottle of the stuff though.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 11:50pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniescakenj

I'm not going to go out and buy a whole bottle of the stuff though.

I wouldn't either. I buy the little shot size bottles, or airplane bottles....whatever you call them. I don't drink anymore, so I don't know the proper name!

Tilleh Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 12:33am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniescakenj

if you're using fondant, you can apply the dust with a fluffy paint brush. I'll take a pic of mine and pm it to you if that description doesn't make sense. If it still doesn't stick to the cake, you can mix the dust with vodka, everclear, lemon, raspberry extracts. I like to use raspberry, it gives the fondant a nice taste but lemon dries faster. I personally don't use the liquors, but I know many other people like that because the alcohol evaporates and leaves no aftertaste. I'm not going to go out and buy a whole bottle of the stuff though.

Ah, I knew I should have kept some of the icing to use as a tester! grr oh well. I would use lemon from that list, does it give it a funny taste? if it does, I will probably go for vodka.

Id just use the vodka neat would I? and it'd dry ok on the icing?

Im really worried im going to mess this cake up!

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 12:48am
post #10 of 12

yes you can taste the lemon on the fondant so if you don't want an aftertaste, use the vodka. You want to apply it very lightly too. You can always go back over it and give it a second coat if its not enough. I would suggest trying a test patch beforehand too, maybe try it on a small spot on the back of the cake or just on an extra piece of fondant so you know what it looks like before you cover the whole cake in it.

Tilleh Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 1:42am
post #11 of 12

Thanks for the advice! thumbs_up.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 2:28am
post #12 of 12

Do Please! tell us how this work out for you.....what you did....etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%