Best Medium For Making Flowers

Decorating By lasher Updated 12 Dec 2008 , 3:26pm by dailey

lasher Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 6

What is the best medium for making flowers? Should I use all gumpaste, all fondant, or a combination of the 2?

5 replies
bashini Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 6

You could do them with gumpaste, but you need to work quickly as it drys quickly. You also can use 50/50 gumpsate and fondant. But I wouldn't use all fondant.

idgalpal Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 11:00pm
post #3 of 6

Bashini - Why wouldn't you use fondant?

superstar Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 6

Fondant doesn't have stretch & you can't roll it thin enough & ball tool the petals etc. to make a realistic flower. I use fondant with a quite a lot of tylose added, that makes a wonderful consistancy for making flowers & it is tough. I also use cold porcelain if the weather is too humid or damp, cold porcelain is non toxic, but is not edible so I usually use it only if I can place the flowers or whatever I am making, on a plaque that can be removed before cutting the cake.

JenniferMI Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 6

I love gumpaste! You can roll it super thin to get the most realism in my opinion. Realism is what I strive for.....

If you have any flower questions, feel free to e-mail me. I teach classes and might be able to clear up some fuzzy areas you might have.

Happy holidays!

Jen icon_smile.gif

dailey Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

I love gumpaste! You can roll it super thin to get the most realism in my opinion. Realism is what I strive for.....

If you have any flower questions, feel free to e-mail me. I teach classes and might be able to clear up some fuzzy areas you might have.

Happy holidays!

Jen icon_smile.gif
[email protected]

i agree...definitely gumpaste. on a side note, jennifer, i just saw your signature and noticed you have a store online?? when does it open? i have to keep that in mind since the only cake shop in my area closed down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%