Patchwork Cutters

Decorating By tootsie927 Updated 4 Jan 2009 , 8:29pm by tonedna

tootsie927 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootsie927 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 19

I just wanted to know how to use patchwork cutters and if you use them the same as a cookie cutter or is there some special techniqueused. I have searched the internet and have not found any info.
Thanks

18 replies
MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 19

http://www.patchworkcutters.com/default.asp

this is the official patchwork cutters site. if you click on the projects you'll get step by step guides to using the cutters

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 19

You will see in the website that you can use this cutters in a lot of different ways: to emboss, to cut, as a template to pipe over, to make 3D effects... I haven't try all of those things, but I really like the patchwork cutters and all the possibilities.

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 19

I didn't get step-by-step. I'd like to know how to incorporate the different colors in a single cutter.

MissBaritone Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 19

probably the easiest way is to emboss the design into fondant. The cut the individual parts out using diffrent coloured gumpaste and stick them onto the embossed fondant

ngfcake Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBaritone

probably the easiest way is to emboss the design into fondant. The cut the individual parts out using diffrent coloured gumpaste and stick them onto the embossed fondant

I think this is the best way. You'll have a guide embossed into the fondant and then with a very sharp knife cut the individual parts from cut outs (that means you'll have to cut the whole design in the different colours and select the parts you want to save from each one).

sugaah Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 7:45pm
post #7 of 19

yes - like a puzzle, like fondant cut-outs.

MissBaritone Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 7:56pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngfcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBaritone

I think this is the best way. You'll have a guide embossed into the fondant and then with a very sharp knife cut the individual parts from cut outs (that means you'll have to cut the whole design in the different colours and select the parts you want to save from each one).

not quite you don't need a knife to cut the pieces apart the cutter is strong enough to cut the individual parts out.

ngfcake Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 8:01pm
post #9 of 19

I guess you're right. They look even enough to cut all the parts. As I've only used them for embossing I thought one should use a knife (and also have seen some pictures doing this in Lindy Smith's books, but I guess it was for unmarked parts).

sillyoldpoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyoldpoohbear Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 8:31pm
post #10 of 19

It would be like cutting out a puzzle in all the different colours. I will warn you this can be a very tedious task if you have a design with lots of detail, but well worth it for the finished result. Some cutters aren't all completely even & you will need a sharp knife to cut round some parts.

Embossing & painting over the design is one of my other favourite ways to use pw cutters but sometimes with a sponge, if it's very light, the cake will squash when you emboss & you won't get as good an impression in the fondant.

I love pw cutters because they have so many uses. I don't know what I ever did before I discovered them icon_smile.gif

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 10:40pm
post #11 of 19

If you are using these cutters, they recommend you use mexican paste. After you roll out the paste, leave it for few minutes and cut the shape. It shouldn't stick to the cutters. But if it does, use a dress makers pin to take it out.

In the link that MissBaritone posted, there is a project called Music stav wedding. There they say to grease the cutters well.

You can try few ways of doing them and stick to one that is easy for you.

sugaah Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 7:39pm
post #12 of 19

So I purchased the patchwork tulip cutter - mexican paste dries hard similar to gumpaste and is therefore not tasty? and I'll have problems removing the delicate cut-out from the cutter. That's great!! thumbsdown.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 7:45pm
post #13 of 19

I love using PW cutters for embossing especially. When I use them for cutouts I roll the fondant VERY thin, let air dry for a moment, flip over and let air dry some more then press and I get a clean cut. Very little trimming necessary! icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 7:54pm
post #14 of 19

You can use them the same way you use the tappits..here is a tutorial..

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 8:08pm
post #15 of 19

Well I did take a look at the link, and did notsee any demo's and when I clicked on the cutter that I liked, It told me to check for a local retailer and when I put in My cCountry or my Zip code nothing came up what did I do wrong.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 8:11pm
post #16 of 19

Huh! I clicked on it and it went right to Edna's tutorials. Try it again and see what happens.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 8:14pm
post #17 of 19

Edna,
Thanks for providing so many helpful Youtube tutorials!!!!

tonedna Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 8:28pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Huh! I clicked on it and it went right to Edna's tutorials. Try it again and see what happens.

Maybe you went to the link I posted..I did the other link and didnt take me to tutorials..just a page with places to go for demos
Edna

tonedna Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 8:29pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCmomof3boys

Edna,
Thanks for providing so many helpful Youtube tutorials!!!!

Anytime thumbs_up.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%