I Am Struggling With This Color Combo, Plz Help!!!!!!

Decorating By ranbel Updated 16 Dec 2008 , 6:42pm by ranbel

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 31

I have a two tier baby shower cake due this weekend. The color combos are brown, blue & beige. Theme: stripes and polka dots...

Well I have a difficult time visioning this cake icon_cry.gif ... I'm not sure if I should ice both tiers white and decorate with the colors or have the tiers either blue or two different colors.... I hate to have to do a cake that the specifics are not given to me....(just do what you think looks best)..well I have a hard time with that...

PLEASE HELP....

30 replies
torysgirl87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torysgirl87 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 31

Hi, there are two cakes in my gallery. One is dots and stripes specifically for a baby shower but in pink, white and brown. I think this will help to look at this combo and envision your colors on it. The other cake in my gallery that has similar colors is dots only and has a tag that says 'For Mommy' on it. it was inspired by another cake on this site. The two cakes may help you with an idea.

Happy baking!

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 31

Hi, there is one cake in my photos that I did for a bridal shower, using blue, brown and pink. I realize it might not be exactly what you're looking to do for a baby shower, but it will help you to visualize the colors. I do love blue and brown together!

dedra_w_1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dedra_w_1980 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 31

What I would do is either a chocolate icing or dark brown buttercream icing as your base and beige strips and blue polka dots....or vice-a-versa.....but keep the dark brown as your base color JMO HTH~~Dedra~~

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 31

I think those colors will look great together!

Here's one that I did w/ polka dots and stripes:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1269253

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedra_w_1980

What I would do is either a chocolate icing or dark brown buttercream icing as your base and beige strips and blue polka dots....or vice-a-versa.....but keep the dark brown as your base color JMO HTH~~Dedra~~

That's what I was going to suggest also.

ranbel Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 7:31pm
post #7 of 31

So, do you think I should stay away from white? My thought was: bottom tier white and top tier blue...but then I thought of doing both tiers white....I just don't know...

The problem I'm having is with the cream/beige color...I think the stripes is the one that I am having the hardest time with...
I thought of white cake.. wide brown stripe with blue zigzag stipe on each side and then a thin beige stripe between each one of them...I hope you understand what I'm trying to describe..

bellabiaggio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellabiaggio Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 7:54pm
post #8 of 31

I like your idea with the wide-zigzag-thin stripe pattern. What I usually do is draw it out on white paper and color it in with crayons or colored pencils. That way you can see it right in front of you before making any questionable decisions. Good luck!

ranbel Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 8:07pm
post #9 of 31

Never thought about coloring it on white paper...great idea, I will try that..

I was just looking thru the gallary and seen this: off white icing bottom tier with brown, pink & beige stripes....I would use blue vs. pnk. what do you think of the off white and would you just use a tiny bit of brown in your icing to achieve that color??? or is there a color tint??

I have the link to the cake I found..

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1211617.html

dmich Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 8:19pm
post #10 of 31

Hi ranbel,

The off-white color looks like ivory fondant to me, which you can buy in several brands (I happen to use Satin Ice).

Good luck!

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 8:26pm
post #11 of 31

As soon a syou said blue/brown stripe/polka dots - i remember this cake that I saw the other day.

hope this helps....
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1291779

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 8:27pm
post #12 of 31

maybe this can offer you some inspiration.
LL

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 8:28pm
post #13 of 31

When I'm stuck on on a design of cake, I do the same as bellabiaggio.

Draw it out and see how it looks

bellabiaggio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellabiaggio Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 8:29pm
post #14 of 31

Ooh, that's pretty. I think that would look good with blue as long as it was a really soft blue. Start with the tiniest amount possible as the color will develop and darken over time. I would start with ivory too, I've tinted mine with Wilton's Ivory Gel, but would probably prefer Satin Ice already tinted. Please post a pick when you're done icon_smile.gif

ranbel Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 8:31pm
post #15 of 31

If I was using fondant to cove the cake, it would be alot easier. But, I am using bc icing on the cake. I just spoke with my local cake supply store and he said they do make a tint for Ivory...so, I guess I am going to have to make a trip there. He also said, you can use vanilla (not clear) to get an ivory tint as well. Has anyone done this with vanilla flavoring????

I think I like the idea of Ivory icing with brown, blue and a darker beige/tan stripes and dots...

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 9:56pm
post #16 of 31

I think that ivory for the background color would work very nicely for both tiers like on the hello kitty cake someone posted.

I think you have a great idea in your head now and wouldn't second guess anymore - ie. don't change your mind in the middle of icing! I would not make a special trip to pick up ivory - use dark vanilla and a 'touch' of brown if you need to.

ranbel Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 11:06pm
post #17 of 31

Thanks everyone. Sometimes it just takes talking it out with others to get it to click.
My choice is to go with the ivory on both tiers and accent with brown/blue and beige/tan...

dinas27 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 4:12pm
post #18 of 31

can't wait to see a picture of the cake... I looked in your photos and those bears are super cute! they've got that 'who me?' expression like a mischievious little boy. icon_biggrin.gif

ranbel Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 5:08pm
post #19 of 31

Thanks dinas27. I am in the middle of icing my cakes now. Letting the dam settle for a while, then it's back to work.

Yeah, a little bit chubby, but I thought they turned out kinda cute also.

I will post a pic when i'm finished. I'm kinda excited to see the finished product...

Happy Friday thumbs_up.gif

SpoonfulofSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 5:27pm
post #20 of 31

I would do all light blue background for both tiers and then brown and beige for the accents.....I have a lot of customers who say oh just do whatever you think.....sometimes without even a color suggestion....to get my creativity going I search through the gallery and look a pics...it will help....good luck

ranbel Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 5:56am
post #21 of 31

Here it is...finally finished....thanks for all the inspiriation from everyone..this is a terrific site for a boost of confidence
LL
LL

dmich Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 6:02am
post #22 of 31

This is fabulous! What a beautiful cake!

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 6:16am
post #23 of 31

Ooohhhhhh, HOW CUTE!!!! That looks great! icon_smile.gif

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 6:32pm
post #24 of 31

It looks FABULOUS!!! great great job!! love the teddy bears!!

ranbel Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 7:43pm
post #25 of 31

Her is a better pic of the cake once delivered. THis is the true color of the icing (ivory)...my flash made it look to much like white icing...
LL

dinas27 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 10:12pm
post #26 of 31

wonderful job! it's a very nice design - good balance between background and accents, not over worked. and the bears are just too cute.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 2:09am
post #27 of 31

This came out really good. The bears are adorable! thumbs_up.gif

scrapperjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapperjade Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 4:51pm
post #28 of 31

This is SO cute!! I bet the mom-to-be was thrilled! I know I would have been!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 5:10pm
post #29 of 31

I think it turned out awesome!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 5:16pm
post #30 of 31

AWWWWW!!!!! Totally nailed it! So sweet!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%