Is It Possible To Do This Cake In Whipped Cream Icing?

Decorating By aminaz Updated 13 Dec 2008 , 7:18pm by TexasSugar

aminaz Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 17

I've been asked to do the cake below but she wants it to be iced in whipped cream icing. is it possible to do the design in whipped cream?

16 replies
shanasweets Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 17

you could probably do it with Richs bettercreme. I bought some once and played with it, you can pipe and do swags. It is light and fluffy like whip cream. I bought it at the cake store, but some people say they can get it at Sams. Also like pastry pride in some places.

aminaz Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 17

thanks for your reply but the thing is i live in the uk and we don't have such things other then cream which we whip on our own. i usually stabilise my cream with vanilla pudding powder and icing sugar, but i don't want to risk it. can i ice the cake with whipped cream the add all the designs in buttercream?

tiggy2 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 17

You can also PM ThanThan, since it's her cake, and she if she thinks it will work.

aminaz Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 17

ok has anyone tried a similar design with whipped cream or buttercream on whipped cream?

misabel99 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 17

I work only with Pastry Pride but since you are not able to find it here's some recipes that i think can help you

Here's another one I haven't try any but they sound good. HTH

3GCakes Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 6:49pm
post #7 of 17

The only way to know for sure is to do a test cake. What one person can do with whipped cream (or any icing for that matter) can vary widely from person to person.

I'd try it out, either on an actual cake or the back of a pan.

TexasSugar Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 8:46pm
post #8 of 17

I have some powder stuff that I get from a store in Dallas. It is a german product (made in germany) and it is for stablizing whip cream. I used it recently one a cake for thanksgiving. I piped a shell border and stars on the top with the mixture of this powder, whipping cream, powder sugar and kalua. We had some cake left in the fridge for a week before it got thrown out and it looked just like it did the day I did it.

I'm not at home at the moment to get the name off of the package, but you may be able to search for something like it.

ASimpleBaker Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 9:15pm
post #9 of 17

MM you might be talking about Sahnesteif, a german whipped cream stabilizer.

aminaz Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 10:58am
post #10 of 17

what about the powdered stuf called dream whip? its powder and all you add is milk and whip it up. can that be used to ice cakes?
has anyone trie it? has anyone tries piping with it?

zamku Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 12:13pm
post #11 of 17

Rich's Uk Website:
You should be able to find it, I hope. (I don't live in the UK though)

imakecakes Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 12:30pm
post #12 of 17

I have to agree with the person who said try it on a a practice cake first. Thanh Thanh's cake are always so perfect, it would be hard to duplicate them in BC let alone with the added air bubbles that are pretty unavoidable in WC.

I have piped WC for borders, writing and drop flowers but it never looks as nice as BC. Make sure your customer knows that beforehand, too.

imakecakes Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 12:34pm
post #13 of 17

what about cool whip? I have never tried decorating with it, but there aren't air bubbles like WC has. It would be pretty easy and inexpensive to test out.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 12:57pm
post #14 of 17

Try the Mock Bettercream recipe misabel99 gave you (the second link.) I tried a similar recipe and it was AWESOME! It came out light, creamy, and not too sweet. I also made some with Splenda blend and it was even better.

Here is the recipe I used:

1 cup milk
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup crisco

Cook flour, salt, and milk until thick like white sauce. Let cool.
Cream together sugar and shortening till light and fluffy.
Add cooled sauce and vanilla. Beat till stiff.

Make sure you cook the flour and milk until thick. If you don't then you'll get a nasty aftertaste. Also, after you cook it, run it thru a sieve to get out any lumps that may have formed.

Good Luck

aminaz Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 2:19pm
post #15 of 17

i done the cake.everything is piped in stabilized whipped cream. it was doable.but i was'nt too pleased with how it looked. it was neat.

paulstonia Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 2:33pm
post #16 of 17

Does just adding the pudding powder to whip cream stabalize it? My pudding will seperate when left in the fridge. I always add gelatin to stabalize whip cream.

TexasSugar Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 7:18pm
post #17 of 17
Originally Posted by ASimpleBaker

MM you might be talking about Sahnesteif, a german whipped cream stabilizer.

I'm glad to know there is a German version so I'm not totally crazy. I went home and looked at the packets I have. They are actually made in Canada. We get it from Kuby's a store in Dallas that sales alot of German products so that is why I was thinking it was.\\

The brand I have used and talked about above is 'Dr. Oetker Whip-it Stabilize'.

I can't believe how long it keeps the cream from softening and seperating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%