Is This Even Possible?

Decorating By cakelady11215 Updated 10 Dec 2008 , 5:26pm by johnson6ofus

cakelady11215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady11215 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, so a friend of mine is getting married in South Beach, FL and would like me to make her cake (or cupcakes). Has anyone ever done anything like this - is it even possible? The only way I can see this happening is if I rent an apt with a kitchen and make it there, or possibly use the kitchen at the location of the reception? Although I'm assuming they will either say no or charge me an arm and a leg. What about baking, covering in fondant, packing in a cooler with dry ice and ship overnight? Then decorate there? Ugh...help!

6 replies
julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 7

They have condos that you can rent. They already have kitchens in them. If she lives there use her kitchen.

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 3:21pm
post #3 of 7

Yeah, and in a lot of beach condos, the kitchens are awesome!

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 7

Bake at home, decorate and put on fondant. Carry it on the plane. Put it together at wedding.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 3:24pm
post #5 of 7

You can also do it like they do for FN Challenges or sometimes you see Duff doing this.
Bake your cakes and ship them to the location and then you can decorate it in your hotel room. Be sure to make more in case of damages.
Or you can do what Sylvia Whinestock does and she flys her cakes and tells the pilot to make soft landings. She packs each tier and assembles on site.

torysgirl87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torysgirl87 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 7

You could ship cakes frozen and decorate there also.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 5:26pm
post #7 of 7

I did this for my niece's wedding- not the cake, but the food. My tips:

Lots of hotels/ condos with kitchens BUT ask "what size". What they call a kitchen may be a dorm frig and microwave. Small frig/ full size? Oven, what size? etc. TAKE AN OVEN THERMOMETER- every oven is different!

Equipment is a bugger. Make a list and have specific things to borrow from people locally. How can you do this without a KA? Buy one? Nope- borrow one. Pack your favorite tools, and premake what you are comfortable with.

Extra time--- it's party time, so you will want to participate and have 1/2 the time you thought available to do it unless you stay up for 3 days straight.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%