Dusting Powders

Decorating By jobueno Updated 26 Dec 2008 , 2:28am by TexasSugar

jobueno Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 6

Just out of curiosity I need to verify this. A friend who also is into cake decorating was telling me I would be able to use non-toxic chalks in place of luster dust or petal dust. How true is this? What exactly are these powders made up of? I read somewhere they where ground up pastels icon_surprised.gif Can this be done? icon_confused.gif

5 replies
Win Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 6

Please don't quote me on this, but I believe I remember reading in the Wilton Gum Paste Flower Book to use the non toxic chalks for coloring. I remember being intrigued at the time I read it, but have never come across anyone else who has made the same recommendation.

grama_j Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 6

I just "googled" that, and it seems there is a TON of info on it...... looks like MANY people use it !

weirkd Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 6

If you go onto Scott Clark Wooleys' site he has the chalk for sale. I dont think you can go buy regular blackboard chalk and use it. Im not sure if their non-toxic, also have to be able to be around food. Im sure you could use the regular stuff if your using it for practice reasons or if you know the items arent going to be touching the cake.

iceit4me Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 6

I use non-toxic chalks to color some of my cakes. you can use the chalks in the scrapbooking section of Michales or AC Moore. They work great. In my photo gallery the red and white wedding cake is colored with the red non-toxic chalk there. It came out great![/i]

TexasSugar Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 2:28am
post #6 of 6

Most of your dust out there that you buy for cake stuff are 'non toxic', all of mine have it on the labels. Non toxic is not the same as edible. It just means it shouldn't hurt you, like Elmers glue, but not really made to be eaten.

Wilton's pearl dusts are FDA approved.

Quote by @%username% on %date%