Help! I Need An Awesome Moist Yellow Cake Recipe!

Decorating By BakerzJoy Updated 10 Dec 2008 , 3:18am by firehorse

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 2:04am
post #1 of 4

I have a winter wonderland cake due in a week and she requested yellow cake. I have a recipe from a long time ago and tried it back in September and it was yummy but dry. I am on the hunt for a new recipe that taste as good as a box mix but it's homemade. Anyone have a foolproof moist recipe that tastes heavenly?

3 replies
Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 2:45am
post #2 of 4

I had your answer until you said it had to be homemade! icon_biggrin.gif Everone LOVES the yellow cakes I make using Duncan Hines Classic Yellow Cake mix and following the pound cake recipe on the side of the box.

I know some people just won't use box mixes, but I have no problem doing so. Most of my recipes, except for my Scratch Carrot Cake, are doctored cake mixes. If someone does ask me if it's from a box, I tell them that I used a box mix as my base and then I add several secret ingredients to make it super moist and tasty. I've never had a negative reaction.

Well...I guess I've done nothing to answer your question. icon_razz.gif

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 2:57am
post #3 of 4

Try the Vanilla Butter Cake from the Mermaid Bakery in the recipe section. The cake is excellent! I have made it twice and it came out wonderful both times. I also like Toba Garrett's yellow cake but that is a more dense cake.

HTH

Sheryl

firehorse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
firehorse Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 3:18am
post #4 of 4

Hi there, I don't know how much help this will be seeing as I have not tried this recipe myself, but I thought I'd reply anyway. I was reading another thread about scratch cakes and someone recommended Sylvia Weinstock's yellow cake recipe as a really good one. I can't attest to how moist it is on its own because she does seem to use washes with her cakes. I also have heard of people cooling the cake layers on parchment (as opposed to letting the air circulate from underneath) as a way to keep it moist.

I happen to have Sylvia Weinstock's book next to me - I have to finish it and get it back to the library so I'll type out the Yellow Cake recipe for you.

Classic Yellow Cake (makes two 8 x 3" or one 12 x3" square or round)

2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound (2 sticks) sweet butter, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup sour cream
4 large egg whites

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and line the baking pans with parchment.

2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

3. Cream the butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer until fluffy and light in color, about 2 minutes on medium speed. Add the sugar and continue to mix until fluffy and light.

4. Add the egg yolds, one at a time, being sure each is well incorporate before adding the next one. Add the vanilla.

5. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the dry ingredients alternately with the sour cream, beginning and ending with the flour. Be sure the mixture is completely blended after each addition. Scrape the sides of the bowl, and beat for 1 minute.

6. In a separate bowl, with clean beaters, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. Gently fold the whipped egg whites into the batter with a rubber spatula.

7. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and smooth with a rubber spatula. Bake in the preheated oven, 60 minutes for the 12- inch square pan, or 45 to 50 minutes for the 8 inch pan. The top of the cake should be nicely browned. Test for doneness with a skewer or toothpick - the tester should come out dry and clean.

Suggested wash flavors - raspberry, strawberry, lemon, orange
Suggested fillings - Raspberry (or strawberry) buttercream, lemon or orange buttercream, mocha buttercream, chocolate mousse filling

Good luck with your cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%