Without Using Charts...how Much Cake?

Decorating By kandu001 Updated 10 Dec 2008 , 11:46pm by __Jamie__

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 12:18am
post #1 of 8

Hi all! I am making a cake for my hubby's cousin's wedding next week and it is supposed to be 3 tiers to feed 80 people. I don't want to use the serving charts because I want bigger pieces. I'm not getting paid anyway and it's family so I just want happy people. Please let me know what size pans to use!! It will be my first wedding cake, so I'm a teeny nervous!
Thanks in advance!

7 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 12:46am
post #2 of 8

"without using charts .... how much cake?"

That's kind of like saying "without using gallon cans, how much paint?"

If you want to cut Jethro pieces, just use double the chart numbers. If you need to feed 80 using double size pieces, then make a cake that the chart says serves 160.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 1:04am
post #3 of 8

12 - 10 - 6 double layers approx 4 to 4 1/2" tall.... - should feed approx 80 - 90 people. (using the top layer)..usually at a wedding the slices are smaller.

If you are in doubt and want extra you can always put a small sheet cake in the kitchen.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 1:04am
post #4 of 8

I was in a s similar situation last month. Made a 12", 9" 6" cake for my cousin's wedding and he only had about 75 guests. Did not serve the top tier - that went to the couple for them to savor over the following week (they were having a delayed honeymoon). Had about 2/3 of the 2nd tier left over which we boxed up into 6 portions which then went to people from both the groom's and bride's family. Days after the wedding, people were still emailing how much they were enjoying the wedding cake.

Gotta tell ya, those folks LOVE cake, especially the groom, so the big cake was worth it. Lucky him I wasn't charging him for his cake cos that size cake serves 150 (per my chart).

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 1:07am
post #5 of 8

I was in a s similar situation last month. Made a 12", 9" 6" cake for my cousin's wedding and he only had about 75 guests. Did not serve the top tier - that went to the couple for them to savor over the following week (they were having a delayed honeymoon). Had about 2/3 of the 2nd tier left over which we boxed up into 6 portions which then went to people from both the groom's and bride's family. Days after the wedding, people were still emailing how much they were enjoying the wedding cake.

Gotta tell ya, those folks LOVE cake, especially the groom, so the big cake was worth it. Lucky him I wasn't charging him for his cake cos that size cake serves 150 (per my chart).

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 11:27pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks everyone! Sorry indydebi...I really meant "without using Wilton's tiny serving suggestion guide" icon_razz.gif I would just hate serving those tiny crumb sized pieces!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 11:34pm
post #7 of 8

OH!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

But here's a pic of a wilton size serving. I cut cakes this size at weddings and at non-wedding events: http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1156785
The cake is on a 6" plate and as you can see, it takes up most of the plate. I think people hear the words "one inch" and they think "paper thin" ... but it's not. thumbs_up.gif

terrylee had a good suggestion with the extra sheet cake, too.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 11:46pm
post #8 of 8

Oh indydebi...great visual! You're right...those sizes are quite appropriate! I just remember the local bakery in town telling me (when calling for price comparisons) that a 6" round only feeds 4 people....lol, I am apt to stick with that! Can you imagine how much cake you would sell if you went with whatever their serving sizes were??? >icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%