New York Cheese Cake As A Tiered Wedding Cake?

Decorating By LKing12 Updated 10 Dec 2008 , 10:30am by bashini

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 5

I have a bride that wants New York Cheesecake for her wedding cake-iced, decorated and tiered. This seems to be a new trend. Does anyone have an idea about what kind of icing and baking the cakes so that they heights are the same?

4 replies
rits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rits Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 5

Hi there,

Yes, it's possible. The Cake Bible has good instructions. When I've done this for clients, I make standard 3 or 3.5" cheesecakes & build up the bases artificially (w/cardboard rounds or foam core) before frosting to make them seem taller. Chilling between stages & after finishing is obviously important.

I frost w/ my standard IMBC, flavored however they want it. i can't imagine this working with a crusting BC, since it can't sit out at room temp. But, I know nothing about crusting BC, so I could be wrong!

Your bride needs to know that a cheesecake wedding cake shouldn't sit out for endless hours on display the way a "normal" wedding cake can. Either deliver at the last possible moment (even then it could sit out during a reception for too many hours), or make sure there's refrigeration on site.

Good luck!
Jen N

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 1:25am
post #3 of 5

Yup! Done it before fpr a tiered birthday cake. Followed the Cake Bible instructions. I agree with what Jen said about building up bases with foamcore. Looks better taller. Without it the cake can look squat.

I frosted with white chocolate cream cheese buttercream which is also found in TCB.

The cake was refrigerated up until shortly before the reception began. Before the guests came in, the cake was simply set on the cake table. Had no issues with the fondant and gumpaste decorations being refrigerated because the room was so cold (places here seem to think guests like the AC set to "Arctic").

I've also made one covered in fondant. Not to my taste but customer was insistent. Used the WCCCBC to adhere fondant to the cheesecake.

Its an expensive cake to make and my customers better be prepared for the price. No sticker shock allowed!

cheesecakes-galore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheesecakes-galore Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 4:36am
post #4 of 5

I have recently made a tiered cheesecake, but I didn't completely decorate it, just put a whipped icing borders around to hide the supporting rods, then decorated it with fresh flowers. It turned out really pretty. Also I thought you could use a whipped icing, not too sweet, and that is what I usually decorate my cheesecakes with anyways.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 10:30am
post #5 of 5

I did one some time back, just as a trial. And I used Toba Garrett's recipe and I love her cream cheese frosting. It was so yummmy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%