Royal Icing Question

Decorating By msnrozier Updated 9 Dec 2008 , 10:52pm by Malakin

msnrozier Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 4

sorry to be a pest, but I am really trying to learn new stuff, I want to do some cookies and I see most use RI, but I don't have meringue powder, I think I can use egg whites right???????

also what is VANVAN, brought this in a cake supply store just walking around wasting money!

TIA a thousand time icon_redface.gif

just went to cooks.com and the recipe calls for cream of tartar, I don't have either in my house.

3 replies
Cake_Princess Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by msnrozier

sorry to be a pest, but I am really trying to learn new stuff, I want to do some cookies and I see most use RI, but I don't have meringue powder, I think I can use egg whites right???????

also what is VANVAN, brought this in a cake supply store just walking around wasting money!

TIA a thousand time icon_redface.gif

Royal icing is traditionally made using egg whites. A lot of people however avoid using egg whites because of the risk of salmonella. You can also use pasteurized egg whites.

PinkZiab Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 4

Yes traditional royal icing is egg whites and PS mixed to the desired consistency. This is the only way I make it (although I sometimes add cornstarch and cream of tartar for strength when using the RI for structural items like pastillage display pieces or gingerbread houses).

Malakin Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 10:52pm
post #4 of 4

I've made it using powdered egg whites and no cream of tartar instead of meringue powder. Works the same

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%