? About Nicholas Lodge's Gumpate

Decorating By tiggy2 Updated 23 Dec 2008 , 6:57am by plbennett_8

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 23

I need to make a bow for a cake that is due Thursday P.M. I am concerned that if I make the gumpaste tonight and let it sit overnight before using it the bow won't be dry by Thursday. Does the gumpaste have to sit in the fridge 24 hrs before use? If so and I make the bow to tomorrow will it be dry by Thursday? TIA

22 replies
chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 23

You do need to let the gumpaste sit for 24hrs to 'mature' after making it.

If you make the bow tomorrow (Wed) and put it in your oven it should dry in time. If you have a gas oven, just put it in with the pilot lit - don't acutally turn the oven on. If you have an electric oven, put it in with the oven light on. That'll give you the best bet for it drying in time.

I love Nic's gumpaste, and it's the only one I'll make or use.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 23

Though it's best to let it mature I have used it right away.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 23

Thanks for the responses. I'll make it as soon as I get home from work and let it sit a few hours then make the bow. Keeping my fingers crossed.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 23

You do have to let it hang out over night, but Is usually ok one day before to let it dry. I do my bows and sometimes and put them in the cake even before they dry. But the question is were it goes on the cake.

Here is how I do them..

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 11:15pm
post #6 of 23

i have used his GP right away after making it and it does fine.

i do find that I have to use way less PS than the recipe calls for it comes out like a rock.

tonedna Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 11:34pm
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

i have used his GP right away after making it and it does fine.

i do find that I have to use way less PS than the recipe calls for it comes out like a rock.

I wonder if this has t do with the humidity in the area where you live. Mine tends to need more. And i can't use it as soon as I make it. The texture does change.
I have a friend that says she uses less tylose powder..
Edna :

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 12:27pm
post #8 of 23

Hi, Edna! I know our humidity is the same as yours (what?! 10 miles?! LOL), but I agree with Sharon...we've ended up following the recipe and it seems too dry and crumbly.

However, the first batch we made was wonderful. I wonder if the humidity the day the gumpaste is made has something to do with PS absorption.

Paul (& Peter)

tonedna Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 4:10pm
post #9 of 23

In my case Paul..I always have to add more sugar, it stays more sticky.. And if I dont let if hang over night, it feels grainy..But I know this for a fact. With my students here in FL(but of course you know this already icon_biggrin.gif). I have to tell them when they do the recipe for buttercream, to add the water one tbls at a time. Same recipe will come from different students looking totally different. I always though that the temperature and humidity fluctuation is coming more from inside the house than outside. This one is another one for the ALton Brown book of questions! LOL
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 8:19pm
post #10 of 23

I asked Nick myself when I was in his class if his gumpaste could be used right away, and he said that it could but it was best to let it mature. I have had to use it an hour after making it without problems but I generally make 4 pounds at a time so it's there when I need it. It keeps for many months in the fridge.

I'm in Houston and have found that removing one cup of PS from a single batch is about perfect.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 9:46pm
post #11 of 23

OMG I can only use about 1/2-2/3 bag of the PS or it will be a ROCK! (same thing for Jen in MI)

How funny it comes out so different.

tonedna Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 9:49pm
post #12 of 23

Isnt that weird!!!...I wonder what is up with that..I want mine to be harder!!!!!!... icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 7:40am
post #13 of 23

I am glad I saw this post. I live in Southern Alberta and it's definately on the dry side here and probably inside the house with the furnace going. I made some yesterday for the first time and freaked out when I had a little more than a cup of powdered sugar left and it was definately not sticky anymore and seeming like it couldn't possibly hold not one more grain of sugar! I think I am going to like this stuff the very best. The Gum Tex version seems too soft, the Wilton RTU was ok, but half of my last bag was hard as a rock icon_sad.gif

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 12:35pm
post #14 of 23

Gerri---

It is so nice to work with for doing all types of gumpaste work. Have fun with it!

Paul & Peter

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:01pm
post #15 of 23

I always use less sugar in the recipe and I've taught ALL over the place, in all kinds of humidity. The first time I made this, I had a BRICK klunking around in my kitchen aid! Probably the most humid place I taught was Hawaii and it works great there. But hey, use what works for you, that's the important thing, but generally my advice would be to cut down on the sugar. You can always add more if it is sticky but it's hard to take it out icon_smile.gif

Enda, if you like it hard, we won't touch that one!!! LOL icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

gerripje Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 4:31pm
post #16 of 23

So far I really like it. I've only tried the various Wilton versions available at Michaels. I will be ordering more tylose for sure! thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 2:17am
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

I always use less sugar in the recipe and I've taught ALL over the place, in all kinds of humidity. The first time I made this, I had a BRICK klunking around in my kitchen aid! Probably the most humid place I taught was Hawaii and it works great there. But hey, use what works for you, that's the important thing, but generally my advice would be to cut down on the sugar. You can always add more if it is sticky but it's hard to take it out icon_smile.gif

Enda, if you like it hard, we won't touch that one!!! LOL icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

Seems Im the only one getting the soft consistency icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Ednaicon_biggrin.gif

maryj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryj Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 2:00am
post #18 of 23

Someone, I can't remember who posted a website for this recipe for gumpaste. But when I went to the site I couldn't for the life of me find the recipe on the site. Could someone help me out with this. Thanks.

gerripje Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:11am
post #19 of 23

I have found it on the Nicholas Lodge website and the Global Sugar Art site has it under recipes.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:26am
post #20 of 23

i live in north carolina.. make it all the time , right by the recipe.... i love it ... just the right consistency for me...

tonedna Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:44am
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryj

Someone, I can't remember who posted a website for this recipe for gumpaste. But when I went to the site I couldn't for the life of me find the recipe on the site. Could someone help me out with this. Thanks.

Go here..
http://designmeacake.com/id27.html
Edna

maryj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryj Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 2:02am
post #22 of 23

Your a peach Edna, thanks.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 6:57am
post #23 of 23

I was wondering if anyone knows where to get tylose in larger containers than 2 oz? I hate to buy those little jars that only make like 1 1/2 batches of gumpaste. Love this recipe! Thanks Jen icon_smile.gif

Thanks,
Pat B.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%