Nooooooooo

Decorating By JillK Updated 11 Dec 2008 , 12:05am by indydebi

JillK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillK Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 12

On the Associated Press newswire (so you may be saying it in your local paper before long):

Headline: More couples say I dont to big tiered cake

"The big, white wedding cake has gone stale for many couples who have tasted too much bad buttercream and seen too many slices left untouched on the table.
Instead, theyre trying to make their celebrations more personal with other sweet expressions of their union."

As so on and so forth. I can't post it, but if you search Associated Press and keywords, you'll already find it on a news Web site or two.

At least they do mention that alternate desserts can be as expensive as cake. At least.

Just thought y'all would like to know. icon_rolleyes.gif

11 replies
adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 12
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 12

I don't believe that people will stop buying wedding cakes. This is another "news" story that isn't! They've been so accurate with the stories about "cheaper" dummy cakes, don't let this bother you too much.

JillK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillK Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 12

Oh, I'm not really worried about it. I just wanted to see what kind of (justified!) righteous indignation it would create on CC. icon_biggrin.gif

I, uh, am kind of a newspaper person. That's how I had access to it so quickly. One of these days I'm going to write an article (or get someone else at my workplace to do so) debunking cake myths. But please don't paint us all with the same brush. icon_razz.gif Some of us do know what we're doing!

It may actually be a slight trend. But it's a silly one if it is!

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 12

did you see that one statistic that said that 40% of weddings are cakeless at that particular location?!?!?!? 40%!! That seems like a lot!

We took the wedding cake tradition so far that we sent each guest home with a mini cake decorated like our wedding cake. its CAKE! i think its as important as the ring - ok, maybe that's taking it a bit far - but seriously who doesn't like CAKE!!!!! Weirdos! haha

i guess that's where it pays to have a full service bakery - if you can't do the cake, maybe you could make the pie..... just a thought!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 12

The people in my area are SO far behind the latest trends that they don't even know what fondant is. "IF" this cakeless reception trend does catch on, it'll be 3 decades before we see it here.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 12

Will never happen....well, maybe here in "health conscious" California it may float for a while among the in crowd, but still....

I can tell you no Mexicans from my family or those I know would even THINK of not having a cake! We make excuses to HAVE a party....family reunions, quinceaneras, baptisms, weddings, Saturday....
I have a 3 tier due Christmas Eve just because they felt like it.

No wedding cake, my tooshie!

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

The people in my area are SO far behind the latest trends that they don't even know what fondant is. "IF" this cakeless reception trend does catch on, it'll be 3 decades before we see it here.

I hear ya! I'm in NC, too, and people here look at you like you have three heads if you say fondant..............they say 'what? what's fondant?

icon_confused.gif
susan

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 4:44pm
post #9 of 12

Even if it does catch on, it will fade in a couple of years, because then a big tiered cake will be the "new" thing.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 4:56pm
post #10 of 12

ANd is that 40% because they push dessert tables which the caterer can do that themselves saving them the added cost of out-sourcing a cake? I don't think that we will see the wedding cake abandoned all together.

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 11:52pm
post #11 of 12

Why would you go to a boring wedding if not FOR THE WEDDING CAKE? I figure if I have to stuff myself into a dress, shave my legs and put spanx on then damnit I'm getting myself a (hopefully) delicious piece of cake.

I can see it now "Thank you so much for coming to our wedding. Here's a piece of cauliflower you can put under your pillow and have sweet dreams with."

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 12:05am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyellam

I can see it now "Thank you so much for coming to our wedding. Here's a piece of cauliflower you can put under your pillow and have sweet dreams with."

icon_lol.gif LOL!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Well, they ARE both "white"!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%