Just Had To Share (Semi Gross)

Decorating By leah_s Updated 10 Dec 2008 , 5:06pm by leah_s

leah_s Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 17

One of my industry magazines arrived today and I ran across an ad, titled REDUCE CAKE STALING.

The product "is the latest innovation" and will keep "cakes soft, moist and resilient for 60 days." It also inhibits mold growth.

Yum.

16 replies
OhMyGanache Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 17

Like Twinkies - those things last forever!

dmich Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 17

That couldn't be any more disgusting! Let's hope that trend doesn't catch on.

FullHouse Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 17

Do they list customer testimonials? I'd post that as public service for where NOT to buy a cake.

leah_s Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 17

Nah, no testimonials. It's a trade magazine though, so I'd expect ginormous commercial bakeries or commisaries to buy it. But if you're ever in your local grocery store and notice a "use by date" that's way in the future . . . mystery solved.

FullHouse Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 17

Good info to have when people say things like "I can get a cake at Target for $xxx". My usual answer on that is, "well, then, you should."

Cake_Princess Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:23pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

One of my industry magazines arrived today and I ran across an ad, titled REDUCE CAKE STALING.

The product "is the latest innovation" and will keep "cakes soft, moist and resilient for 60 days." It also inhibits mold growth.

Yum.

I guess it's no different to the people on here that state they freeze cakes for 2-3 months for events or tastings. icon_confused.gif

peg818 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:58pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Princess

Quote:

Yum.

I guess it's no different to the people on here that state they freeze cakes for 2-3 months for events or tastings. icon_confused.gif

Sorry to disagree with you, but i think its a big difference in a cake that is frozen or one thats sitting on a shelf for 60 day

JMO

leah_s Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 8:00pm
post #9 of 17

Yeah, peg's right. There's a tremendous difference in freezing to preserve a cake and adding chemicals to preserve a cake that's sitting on the shelf. BIG difference.

kakeladi Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 8:25pm
post #10 of 17

When I had my shop & got those type of magazines I often saw ads for such ingredients.....it's nothing new - except maybe desinged for cake instead of pastries.

sarahpierce Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 10:46pm
post #11 of 17

Homer Simpson says, "Mmmmmm, chemical cake preservatives." icon_rolleyes.gif

Malakin Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 10:57pm
post #12 of 17

Wow....decrease cakes from going stale??? Preserve them chemically??? I can see where this would be a big market for some cheap people who prefer to buy from large markets instead of small bakeries with fresh cakes. It would save them the cost of being embalmed in the future!

candynumber1 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 6:05am
post #13 of 17
Quote:

Yum.

Ok, that's just wrong!!

milissasmom Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 6:24am
post #14 of 17

Crazy...I can't even imagine!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 11:50am
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakin

It would save them the cost of being embalmed in the future!

HAHAHAH! Isn't that the truth!

OhMyGanache Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 4:56pm
post #16 of 17

Fruitcakes last forever. Maybe it's not chemicals but booze? icon_smile.gif

That WOULD be "yum".

leah_s Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 5:06pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleKitten

Fruitcakes last forever. Maybe it's not chemicals but booze? icon_smile.gif

That WOULD be "yum".

Agreed. Freezing, booze both work as preservatives. I'm good with those.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%