Is There An Easy Way To Apply Disco Dust?

Decorating By Lenore Updated 7 May 2010 , 7:08pm by tastyart

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 11

I was just sprinkling on with my fingers and realized that is was taking so much time. I was hoping someone could share an easier method.

10 replies
ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 11

I've read than some people use a fine brush, I'm going to try that myself with my Xmas cookies. icon_smile.gif

aimers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aimers Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 11

I dip a dry paint brush in tap it on to the cake. I tap the wood handle of the brush on my finger to distibute evenly

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 11

I pour some into the cap and tap it out gently from there, as it goes on every cake I do, I now have it down to a fine art and waste very little!

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 11

I use a pump brush. I've bought mine from Nicholas Lodge, but Cal Java also sells them. I'll try to post the link....

http://www.caljavaonline.com/tools1-pbrush-lg.htm

I love it!! I have about 4 of them, and have my pearl dust, gold pearl dust, and silve disco dust in them (one is still empty).

Edited to add:
Don't forget to take the little piece of black 'foam' out of the end up it, or you'll end up cursing yourself. (ask me how I know this, lol)

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:13pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you so much everyone. I really appreciate your help.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 11

I dip my ri into the little bowl of glitter dust or I use a brusch and gently tap onto my cake which uses to much and wastes a lot. I put some in a bent peice of paper or cardboard to put directly onto one spot or if I have an extremely large surface area, I use the little baby bulb syringe from Walmart to gently blow it onto the area from a peice of paper.

MissMona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissMona Posted 6 May 2010 , 5:36am
post #8 of 11

I ordered red disco dust and if it comes in in time, I plan to make dorothy's ruby slippers with it. Any suggestions? I thought about painting them with gum glue and sprinkling the dust over, would that work?

craftybrandi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybrandi Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:35pm
post #9 of 11

When I did my ruby slippers I used two brushes and worked in small sections. First I would apply clear gel to a section with a brush. With the second brush, I would dip it in the dust, then tap the brush with my finger over the gel section to release the dust onto the gel. Do this over the dust container or a small cup to catch what does not stick to the shoe. Repeat until shoe is covered.

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:53pm
post #10 of 11

I brushed my entire shoe with piping gel. If your gel is too thick, thin with a little water....

I put my disco dust in a shake container, that I emptied regular glitter from

then I sprinkle the disco onto the gel covered shoe. Worked wonderful!!
Hope this helps

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 7 May 2010 , 7:08pm
post #11 of 11

I want to try one of those pump brushes. they look so cool! I usually apply with a soft fluffy brush.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%