Question About Wilton's 5-Lb Buttercream Tub

Decorating By EyeRishGrl Updated 13 Dec 2008 , 3:26am by Carolynlovescake

EyeRishGrl Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 10

Is Wilton's tub of buttercream (in the 5-lb tub) a crusting buttercream?

9 replies
TexasSugar Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 10

No, I don't think it is.

EnjoyTheCake Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 10

I am not at home right now to read the ingredients, however, I have always been under the impression that if the icing contains egg white or meringue powder then it is most likely a crusting buttercream. I'd say check the ingredients list to see if the tub contains those items.

Best of luck.

3GCakes Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 10

I do not consider it to be, nor do I advise it to be.

It is good in a pinch, but doesn't crust that well. However, in a class situation, I advise them to buy it instead of the small little container because A) it tastes better and B) it can be used for just about anything, including roses (as long as it's not a Tropical July Day).

Uniqueask Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 10

It is not buttercream it is a whipped frosting, I bought it a lot and thought it was buttercream until I went to class with it and my instructor told me that my basketweave cake would not come out well because it was not buttercream i was disappointed so I stop buying so many I only use them for emergencies, when i am making cakes for my daughter's class

Cakepro Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 10

Uniqueask, perhaps you are talking about the powdered buttercream mix that Wilton sells. One of my students was too pressed for time on Monday night to make buttercream for class so she picked up a 5-pound tub. I stirred it and it was definitely not whipped. It was a nice, dense buttercream that worked very well for everything we covered that night. It would definitely work perfectly fine for basketweave.

Uniqueask Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 9:35pm
post #7 of 10

Hi Cakepro,

I am not talking about the powdered, mix in the box I never bought that I am talking about the big blue and white tub, from Wilton actually it is in front of me right now so I can give you guys the right info, it is white creamy Decorator Icing, mine is a 4 Lb tub, though, unless you guys get something else this is the one I find at walmart, and that is definitely not buttercream. My Instructor is from Wilton, and she told me not to buy it anymore the small 1Lb tubs are buttercream though, you can still use the big ones for cake decorating and borders and stars but it is not buttercream when you make buttercream taste the two and you will taste the difference I did and that is how I knew she was right, but don't get me wrong they decorate cakes beautifully, but just tasts different if I am wrong I am only following my Instructor and I apologize. i still use them on emergencies but I don't buy six and seven tubs like I use to

Carolynlovescake Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 11:36pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Quote:

I am not talking about the powdered, mix in the box I never bought that I am talking about the big blue and white tub, from Wilton actually it is in front of me right now so I can give you guys the right info, it is white creamy Decorator Icing, mine is a 4 Lb tub, though, unless you guys get something else this is the one I find at walmart, and that is definitely not buttercream.

I have the 5 pound version sold at Michael's (same stuff). Wilton calls it Decorator's icing but for me at least it falls into the buttercream family.

Quote:
Quote:

My Instructor is from Wilton, and she told me not to buy it anymore the small 1Lb tubs are buttercream though, you can still use the big ones for cake decorating and borders and stars

I am also a Wilton instructor. I use this all the time for all my courses and all techniques taught.

I have used it for basketweave many times with out issue and I recommend it all the time. If it was an issue I can assure you my more verbal students would have called me and let me know.

Quote:
Quote:

but it is not buttercream when you make buttercream taste the two and you will taste the difference I did and that is how I knew she was right,

I have about 20 different flavors for buttercream and each has it's own flavor.

No two buttercreams will taste the same.

And if you are tasting the tub you have against the Wilton recipe in the book for class I can assure you it's going to taste way better out of the tub.

I hate the little tub flavor as does my family but the big tub is a hit with them.

Quote:
Quote:

but don't get me wrong they decorate cakes beautifully, but just tasts different if I am wrong I am only following my Instructor and I apologize. i still use them on emergencies but I don't buy six and seven tubs like I use to

There's no need to apologize.

I will just say this as nicely as I can... not all instructors are seasoned on all areas of Wilton's products. Some are to new to know better, some just don't care, and some are just uneducated as to what the products can/can't do.

Please don't feel bad questioning something your instructor said here. It's good to ask for second opinions on an answer when you want to know something.

There are many very seasoned and educated Wilton Instructors here who are more than happy to share what they know with you.

thumbs_up.gif

Uniqueask Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 9:45pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you all so very much

Carolynlovescake Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 3:26am
post #10 of 10

You are welcome Uniqueask. I hope I was able to help you at least.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%