After You Crumb Coat Is It Better To Leave It Out Before You

Decorating By drowninginfondant Updated 9 Dec 2008 , 10:01pm by Kitagrl

drowninginfondant Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 6

actually ice the cake even if it is a day before or should I refrigerate it? I've refrigerated it in the past and it comes out soggy. Any help would be appreciated. TIA

5 replies
CakesByJen2 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 6

I always refrigerate mine after crumbcoating, for several reasons. I often use fruit or mousse fillings that must be refrigerated, it makes the cake much firmer and easier to ice, and I know the cake is safe if it is tucked away in my extra fridge, out of the way. Refrigerating will firm up the crumb coate and make icing easier. I've never had a cake get soggy. If it is very humid, then condensation will start to form on the surface of the cake when you have it out of the fridge, so you just have to be sure you don't bring it out unless you are ready to ice it right then. Condensation on an un-iced cake cake cause sogginess, but condensation on the surface of an ice cake will eventually evaporate, though it can cause colors to run or fine piped royal icing details to melt.

drowninginfondant Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks Jen. Yes, I have been letting mine sit before I actually ice after taking out of refrigerator. Thanks again.

indydebi Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 6

I never refrigerate my cakes, but I don't use perishable fillings like Jen, so that WILL make a difference in what you need to do. I like my crumb coats/icing to air dry. That way I never have to worry about condensation.

bashini Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 9:45pm
post #5 of 6

I don't refridgerate my cakes either. I put the filling and cover it with saran wrap and leave it over night. And the next day I do the crumbcoating, ice and do the decorations. icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 10:01pm
post #6 of 6

If you need the icing to crust (if that is how you smooth it) then you will want it room temp...if not, refrigeration is easiest as it firms up the cake for sturdier icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%