"puffy" Cake Stand

Decorating By rocketmom1985 Updated 9 Dec 2008 , 9:55pm by rocketmom1985

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 9

I know that I had a link at one time for a tutorial on making one of these (the tutorial was a square maybe?) but now I can't find it...argh! Does anyone have this link or tell me how to make one of these? I am a visual type learner so the tutorial would be fantastic. I have done a google search and came up with zilch. TIA...

dee

oopsie...here's a link to what I am trying to make...

http://www.earlenescakes.com/Pearls1.htm

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 9

the tutorial is on earlene's site. Just google earlene moore.

rocketmom1985 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 9

All I could find was the instruction sheet on this for $$$...I will check again... icon_smile.gif

rocketmom1985 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 9

must be a dunce...I can't find the tutorial icon_cry.gif

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 9

You found it. It's the one for sale.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 5:00pm
post #6 of 9

Well, I've never made that but it appears to be satin fabric with some batting underneath it. If I were going to make it, here's what I would try. (You could probably try a practice one with a piece of cardboard and scrap satin).

Get a board (what are people using for the cakes, masonite?). Cut a long piece of satin fabric, probably 2-2.5 times the circumfrence. Cut a piece of batting the circumfrence. Hot glue or staple the batting to the edge of the board, go up and over the edge toward the center (I would not put it on the bottom for stability sake) Put running stitches on the two long ends of the satin (you can google to find how to do that). Hot glue one long edge of the fabric to the top of the board after pulling the thread to make the gathers, (completely cover the satin) then do the same on the bottom. You might be able to just make the pleats as you glue each section down instead. Then make another circle of the fabric to cover over the raw edges (yes, the cake will cover it, but I would want it to look 'finished' even after the cake is removed, I'm just like that; probably not necessary though.)

Sorry I don't know where to get a free tutorial. Good luck!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 9

I believer Earlene's has elastic in it so you can take it off and wash it or change the cover on the board.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 9:53pm
post #8 of 9

I actually made one its not as good as Earlenes but it looks Ok
what id did was i got a styrofoam wreath largest one i could find then i got a piece of satin first time i tried to use it i just set the cake down on top of it omgosh the cake started sliding 10min after i set it up , so now im going to take a 10in cake pan turn it upside down and stuff the cloth around it then set the cake on it looks pretty good the more you gather it the more it looks like Earlenes,

rocketmom1985 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 9:55pm
post #9 of 9

Whoopie! I found it...

Barbaranne, your idea/instruction was right on! I printed them out along with the tutorial...thanks so much for taking the time. I am NOT a fabric and sewing person! icon_rolleyes.gif

I am having a Christmas day open house for my son's graduation from college and I want to have something different for his cake stand. He won't care, but I do, lol

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/559342164XIfVAw

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%