I want to make a Chocolate yule log for Christmas day.Does anyone have a chocolate sponge cake recipe that will allow me to roll it up without breaking?? Tips on baking,what type of pan,how to roll it etc...
(video about making it!)
The instructions I have in a pretty reliable cookbook (but haven't done this myself because it has been my SIL's traditiion to make this for Christmas since she was a kid):
1 cup plus 1 T. conf. sugar, divided
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
6 large eggs, separated, at room temp.
1/8 tsp salt
dark choc. frosting (about 4 cups)
1 1/2 cups vanilla frosting
- In a small bowl, sift 1 cup sugar & cocoa. In large bowl, on med speed, beat egg yolks until thickened, about 5 min. Beating constantly, add sugar mixture to yolks, a little at a time, until combined, about 3 min.
In med. bowl, beat egg whites until foamy (about 30 sec.). Add salt; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into yolk mixture. Pour batter into 15x10 jelly roll pan (greased & parchment lined), spread batter evenly. Bakke until top springs back when touched 12-15 min.
- Place a clean dish towel on work surface; sprinkle remaining sugar over towel. Invert cake onto towel. Beginning at 1 long end, roll cake and towel together tightly. Set cake asaide, seam side down; cool completely.
- Unroll cooled cake; remove towel. Spread cake with 1/2 of choc. frosting. Reroll as tightly as possible.
- Place cake seam-side down on serving plate. Cut a 2" diag. piece off 1 end; use frosting to attach to side of log for a stump. Cut another 2" diag. piece off other end; attach to other side of log.
- Frost ends of log w/vanilla frosing. Frost rest of cake with choc., run fork along to create bark effect.
- Pipe vines, leaves, and holly berries as desired.
This is the one I've made and it's really good. I love watching the videos. You can also go to
Thanks everyone!! I'm gonna give it a shot!!
nickshalfpint beat me to posting abt dyann bakes. she also has a video link at the bottom of the page. the direct link is: