Cake Balls=Nasty!!!!!!

Decorating By cakedivamommy Updated 12 Dec 2008 , 4:36am by indydebi

cakedivamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivamommy Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:01am
post #1 of 44

I had some extra batter left over from a cake so I baked a 6in cake and decided to make cake balls. I followed the directions provided by many on CC and couldnt wait to try these little morsels of goodness, or so I thought! I dipped them in chocolate and couldnt wait to try them. Well, my excitement was immediately turned to hatred and disgust after one bite. I know that the cake tasted awesome and could not believe that these icky things came from my wonderful cake. Maybe it was the consistency that I did not like. Are they supposed to feel like raw cookie dough in your mouth? Needless to say I will not try these things again, unless someone can highly convince me otherwise. I can not believe I wasted a perfectly good cake!

43 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:13am
post #2 of 44

Oh thank you!

I have always wondered about the appeal of these gross little buggers! Mooshy-mushy soggy cake mixed up with frosting? Gah. The consistency of cake balls is like pre-chewed food.

*shudder*

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:23am
post #3 of 44

Well my family are hard core addicts so there is no cake ball hate here icon_lol.gif , however, I prefer to call them cake truffles and think of them as a lighter truffle rather than smooshed cake....and they do have a bizarre 'pre-chewed' mouth feel sometimes. I also don't make them with frosting - too sweet....I like to flavor cream, etc and experiment and they have all been quickly devoured.

But I really do think that getting the mind-set of "light" truffles helps a bit icon_smile.gif

adobewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adobewife Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:24am
post #4 of 44

The only ones I've ever had were mixed with a little french vanilla coffee creamer then dipped in chocolate, and they were delicious. I have never heard of them mixed with icing YUCK! The ones I had were mixed with just enough liquid to mold, and they were more like a moist cake ball. Maybe a different recipe would be more to your liking. I use the "darn good chocolate cake" recipe from this site, and trust me it is so moist you wouldn't even need to add liquid, it is super moist.

jkeeler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jkeeler Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:25am
post #5 of 44

Boy, this made me laugh. icon_lol.gif I also didn't much care for Cake balls and I wondered what was wrong with me. I made some and took them to work and they loved them!

I started making the cake balls w/o the cake icon_wink.gif by using an old recipie for Peanut butter balls I had where you grind up gramh crackers really fine, add peanut butter and powerdered sugar and them dip in chocolate and put on popcicle stick. Look like cake balls but I love the taste. To each their own taste--lots of people like them. Maybe next time I'll try to add grahm crackers to the cake and frosting mixture to dry it up a little bit.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:25am
post #6 of 44

But it's NOT a truffle, *light* or not. Eeeuuww. That is very misleading to call them truffles. It should, as a matter of fact, be illegal!

jkeeler Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:27am
post #7 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by adobewife

The only ones I've ever had were mixed with a little french vanilla coffee creamer then dipped in chocolate, and they were delicious. I have never heard of them mixed with icing YUCK! The ones I had were mixed with just enough liquid to mold, and they were more like a moist cake ball. Maybe a different recipe would be more to your liking. I use the "darn good chocolate cake" recipe from this site, and trust me it is so moist you wouldn't even need to add liquid, it is super moist.

Mmmm, great idea. All the recipies I've seen has you mix the cake w/icing (usually cream cheese variety) so this is good news. Thanks, I'll try that next time.

cakedivamommy Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:29am
post #8 of 44

CakeDiva~ I wish your family was here right now to eat the 30 other crappy balls in my fridge. Maybe my cake was too moist and I added too much liquid. I dunno but they felt nasty in my mouth making me not like them.

adobewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adobewife Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:36am
post #9 of 44

The lady that does the ones that I like, says she only adds enough liquid to enhance the flavor and just bind the cake, the less the better. She mostly works in chocolate, but when she does cake she makes these they are amazing. She does a yellow cake with the cinnamon creamer or carmel and they are just super. They are just super moist cake covered in chocolate... life is good!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:41am
post #10 of 44

lol, agreed - they are not truffles....but I call 'em that anyway. icon_smile.gif All I can say is these puppies go like hotcakes around here, regardless of what I call them. I use a combination of cake, not too much liquid (never icing) and canned coffee powders for flavor. I just made some homemade kahlua so I was going to try and play with it and make 'Drunken Truffle Balls' icon_rolleyes.gif

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:42am
post #11 of 44

I like them only if they've been refrigerated.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 10:32pm
post #12 of 44

Yeah, I'm with you. I've tried to like them, but I'm not keen. I realised that the only part I liked was the chocolate, so now I chuck out the cake and just eat the chocolate. Cuts out the middle man icon_lol.gif

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 10:45pm
post #13 of 44

Thank you for this post! I thought I was the only one that felt that way. I made them a couple of times (one of the times it was wasc mixed with pure "dulce de leche" and covered in chocolate of course)...what;s not to like i thought)...and i hated them! Yuck they are heavy and sweet and just too much.
Maybe it's just me...i gave them to my friends and they all went nuts!

On the other hand I'm the kind of person that dies over a loaf of bread and some butter!

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 10:47pm
post #14 of 44

I agree with CakeDiva73. I add the booze and everyone loves those things. Cuts down on the sweetness also.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 10:54pm
post #15 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagostino

On the other hand I'm the kind of person that dies over a loaf of bread and some butter!

Mmmm. A fresh unsliced loaf and butter spread so thick it leaves a dental impression = heaven!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 10:55pm
post #16 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakin

I agree with CakeDiva73. I add the booze and everyone loves those things. Cuts down on the sweetness also.

I think we should combine some ideas here. Toss out the middleman, keep the choc, and the booze. WoooHooo now we're on to something. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 10:58pm
post #17 of 44

Ahem! ::taps desk::

My newest crusade will be to rename these

"Cruffles"

Seriously. Cake + truffle = Cruffle

Please resume your normal caking.

BlondiezBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlondiezBakery Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 11:01pm
post #18 of 44

great post! I am making my first attempt at these next week for a XMas party host-ess gift (Gosh...I hope I get invited back afterwards).

I will certainly opt for the coffee creamer vs. the icing. Just flavored powder with some water mixture?

Also...I WOULD LOVE to get the BP ball recipe JKEELER! I mean you pretty much already did, but I want to make sure that I get it right. That sounds like a great and delicious idea!!! Not to mention, I already have the ingredients. icon_smile.gif

Marysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marysmom Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 11:01pm
post #19 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeeler

I started making the cake balls w/o the cake icon_wink.gif by using an old recipie for Peanut butter balls I had where you grind up gramh crackers really fine, add peanut butter and powerdered sugar and them dip in chocolate and put on popcicle stick. Look like cake balls but I love the taste. To each their own taste--lots of people like them. Maybe next time I'll try to add grahm crackers to the cake and frosting mixture to dry it up a little bit.

Would you like to post your recipe? It sounds delish!

And, by the way, I hate cake balls too.

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 11:02pm
post #20 of 44

It is the texture that gets me everytime! Yuck! But, my family loves them so I make them. I found that if I freeze them it is better but I wouldn't go out of the way to make them for myself.

cakedivamommy Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 12:37am
post #21 of 44

LeahS~ my new name for them is crap balls! YUCKY!

For everyone else that LOVES these things, what would you describe the texture like? Maybe mine were too mooshy.

lifonahil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lifonahil Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 5:21am
post #22 of 44

I added bailey carmel to mine but i think i added to much because i thought they were to mushy. But everyone i gave one to just loved them. So i don't know. Next time i am gonna try to use less liquid.

kbak37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbak37 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 5:49am
post #23 of 44

I made some Sunday..I used Bakerella's method with the mold. White cake with vanilla icing; dipped in milk and white chocolate and they were good. I agree witht he refrigeration part though. Cold is better. I took them to work (about 50 of them) and by 5pm they were all gone. People were strangley facinated by them. I will try the coffee creamer method sometime..and the booze....drunk cruffles (ode to Leahs)! thumbs_up.gif

jkeeler Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 5:59am
post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marysmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeeler

Would you like to post your recipe? It sounds delish!

And, by the way, I hate cake balls too.

Here it is. I used to do the paraffin in the chocolate thing before I found the bags of candy melts, but you can do whatever works for you.

Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Balls

1 ¾ cups creamy peanut butter
1 cup butter
4 cups powdered sugar (or confectioners sugar)
1 2/3 cups graham crackers crumbs finely crushed--crush, crush, crush!
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (or use any chocolate coating)
1 tablespoon shortening (or you can use ¼ to ½ slap of paraffin wax which makes the chocolate shiny and smooth)

Mix all the ingredients together (I use my hands to do this) except for the chocolate and shortening (or paraffin.) Shape into 1 inch balls. You can put on sucker sticks or put a toothpick in each to make them easier to dip. I put them in the freezer to really make them easier to dip in the chocolate.

Melt the chocolate and shortening (or paraffin) in top of a double boiler (or you can use microwave if you are careful). Dip the chilled balls into the chocolate to coat and lay them on wax paper to dry.

If you like peanut butter, you're going to love these. It's an easy recipe to play with as well (add liquer for a little flavoring, etc.).

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 6:20am
post #25 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Ahem! ::taps desk::

My newest crusade will be to rename these

"Cruffles"

Seriously. Cake + truffle = Cruffle

Please resume your normal caking.

LOL Leah! I was inspired by another post to try making "cruffles" but after reading this, I think I'd rather try something else. Like real truffles. icon_lol.gif

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 6:31am
post #26 of 44

Man, I do so love CC...I am reading this forum and laughing so hard. Everytime I hear of Cake balls, I just get sick to my tummy. I always thought they would be gross! This solidifies it for me...Leahs, Cruffles..that is funny!

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 1:54pm
post #27 of 44

Oh, gosh, we love those things! The ones I made were chocolate, and ended up with a consistency something like a really moist, dense brownie. I think adding just the right amount of moisture is critical; the first time I tried them I added way too much and ended up with a soggy mess that I couldn't do anything with. The ones that were so yummy were chocolate cake with a slight drizzle of Kahlua and a little bit of chocolate buttercream. It really only takes a tiny bit of liquid/icing added. I hate the creamers, too artificial tasting for me, so I don't think I'd like that recipe. I think little liqueur and a tiny bit of icing are the way to go. I dipped one batch in white chocolate and made them look like eye-balls and took to my son's pre-school Halloween party, and they disappeared in no time! They were a little rich for some of the kids, but the teachers and other parents loved them; they were even calling in teachers from other classrooms telling them they had to try them. At christmas I did anoher batch, some i white and some in dark chocolate, and sprinkled nuts on some of them and the family loved them.

mommaroxy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommaroxy Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 2:23pm
post #28 of 44

Id definitly say you used too much icing. I used 2cups homemade cream cheese frosting the first time and they were as you said NASTY! I did try them again and used only 4-5 tbsp liquid creamer and they were great! The first ones were just mush. Ended up throwing them away...kids wouldnt even eat them. All the other batches have been a huge hit. Ive had requests from my sons classmates! Also, I just use a plain box mix. Maybe your cake was just too good to mess with in the first place thumbs_up.gif
I was told that not everyone likes them...maybe thats the case. If you do try them again Id suggest not using the icing. Good luck.

~Roxanne

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 2:26pm
post #29 of 44

My family loves cake truffles. This last time I used liquid instead of icing and made them way to mushy. I agree only use enough liquid to make the cake stick together. If this had been my first try I probably would never have made them again. Try again with less liquid and you should not get that "pre-chewed" texture.

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 2:29pm
post #30 of 44

I had those at a friend's house not too long ago (she's an aspiring baker), needless to say, mine ended up in my napkin and then in the trash.

I hope to God that isn't something she produces for her clients! YUUUCK!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%