Giant Fortune Cookies

Baking By Cookie45 Updated 13 Dec 2008 , 5:19pm by Cookie45

Cookie45 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone know how the giant fortune cookies are made? I'm looking for a good recipe and instructions.

5 replies
weirkd Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 6

You can use the general recipe to make them but you will just have to enlarge it. Their are a number of sites that give you recipes and how to fold the correctly. Here is one of them:
http://www.fancyfortunecookies.com/recipe.shtml

weirkd Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 6

You can use the general recipe to make them but you will just have to enlarge it. Their are a number of sites that give you recipes and how to fold the correctly. Here is one of them:
http://www.fancyfortunecookies.com/recipe.shtml

bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 6

Wow what a great thread!! Thanks for the link weirkd!! icon_biggrin.gif

TracyLH Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 6

I have done them before. The only thing you need to be aware of is that the butter in the recipe will stain your fortune cookie paper, and I read somewhere that one might want to try to find a recipe that won't have that problem. Here is the one I happened to use (I was very happy with the taste though):

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/fortune-cookies?autonomy_kw=fortune%20cookies&rsc=header_4

Although I didn't used this recipe below, I did use the technique to form them. Much easier than other methods I had tried.

Chinese New Year Food Recipe: How to Make Fortune Cookies

INGREDIENTS: (6 servings)

1 egg white
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
1 pinch salt
1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2Tbsp white sugar
2Tbsp butter

MATERIALS:

Cookie sheets
Oil spray (to grease cookie sheets)
Coffee mug
Muffin tin
Mixing bowl (medium)
Wooden cutting board
Spatula
Paper cut in strips (4 inches long and ½ inch wide)
Ballpoint pen (for writing fortune)

DIRECTIONS:

a) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (F).

b) While waiting, write fortunes on white paper cut in strips about 4 inches in length and ½ inch in width.

c) Grease the 2 cookie sheets generously.

d) In a medium size mixing bowl, mix the egg white, butter, almond and vanilla extract until foamy. Make sure that it is not stiff. Add flour, salt, and sugar by sifting and blending them to the egg mixture.

e) Scoop the batter using a teaspoon then place them at least 4 inches apart on the greased cookie sheets. Place at least 3 to 4 on each sheet to avoid crowding. Shape each one into a circle about 3 inches in diameter by tilting.

f) Bake for approximately 5 minutes, or until each cookie turned to a golden color edge of the circle, with the center remaining in a pale color. Prepare the other sheet while the first one is still baking to save time.

g) Remove sheet from the oven. While still hot, quickly move cookie with a wide spatula then place upside down on a wooden cutting board. Insert the fortune on the cookie at the center then fold the cookie in half on a wooden cutting board.

h) Place the folded fortune cookie's edge across the rim of a coffee mug. Pull the pointed edges down with one on the inside of the cup and the other on the outside part of the cup.

i) Cool by placing folded fortune cookies a muffin pan to help keep their shape.

Tips:

Thin the batter by adding a bit of water.

Spray the sheets between each use.

Cookie45 Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 5:19pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for your help. TracyLH-Have you made the really big ones the about the size of luncheon plate?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%