50/50 Fondant & Gumpaste For 3D Figures???

Decorating By ranbel Updated 11 Dec 2008 , 3:26am by TexasSugar

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 7

I am making 3D bears and blocks, should I use 50/50 fondant & gumpaste or all of one?

Thanks

6 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 7

I've used straight fondant for my 3D figures but if it makes you feel more secure use a 50/50 paste.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 2:31am
post #3 of 7

I use 50/50, it dries harder and um... the name is escaping me now... gum glue? I can't remember...a little pea size piece of gumpaste mixed with a tablespoon or two of water. when it dissolves, you can use it to glue your pieces together and they won't fall apart. I tried water with my first figure and the arms and legs kept falling off!

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 7

I live in a very humid area, and I use straight gumpaste for 3-D work. Figures made with fondant or even 50-50 won't dry properly - they sag or "melt". I usually dry my items in a food dehydrator, too. It is frustrating to end up with misshapen figures after so much work, so I use gumpaste or chocolate (or candy) clay.

vanillafairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanillafairy Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 2:20am
post #5 of 7

I agree with ibmoser for the same reasons, you can make your own gumpaste by adding tylose to fondant, works great

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 2:32am
post #6 of 7

I would use a mix for figures. It dries quicker and is more stable. but if you have lots of time, straight fondant works too!

Stephanie

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 3:26am
post #7 of 7

All the figures I have made were fondant mixed with gum tex.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%