Not Sure What To Do?

Business By tdybear1978 Updated 11 Dec 2008 , 3:13am by shanasweets

tdybear1978 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 20

I have been making loads and loads of peanut brittle for a local florist shop who uses them in their gift baskets. I recently contacted many other businesses who do gift baskets and focus on using only Made In Oklahoma products (which is where I am). I focused on the fact that I am in Oklahoma and that my peanuts also come from a local farm. Well, this morning when I came in to my store I had responses from a few of these people who are interested and would like a sample so they can see it, taste it and see how it is packaged. So that is where I run into my problem - how do I package this? I currently just put the brittle into a food safe clear plastic bag with a twist tie. Should I be putting it into something more of a container? should it be sealed in some way? should there be nutrional info on there? and if so how do I figure the nutritional info out? any help would be appreciated

thanks all

19 replies
KHalstead Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 20

I think if it's something that's going into a gift basket, personally (and I used to run a gift basket bus. out of my home by the way) I'd like to see the brittle, it's very textural and pleasing to the eye IMO......you might add a shear ribbon around the twist tie with a nice card (piece of cardstock in a complimentary color cut with decorative edged scissors, with your company logo and a brief description and even ingredient list on the inside of the card) that to me is VERY professional looking.
You can also put something on the front with the logo to the effect of (Oklahoma made) then on the ingredient list for the peanuts don't just list peanuts, list hand shelled, locally grown ____(variety) peanuts

kakeladi Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 20

Your state may have health dept rules about if/what ingrediengts list is needed. Better chick that out.

kokopuff Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 20

I work for my local supermarket chain and we always sell peanut brittle during the holidays.It is pakaged in a clear plastic container with a lid but I doubt if it is airtight and yes it does have nutritional info on it but I am not sure if you are required to have it.If I were making it I would probably just use a clear treat bag or a holiday treat bag and tie it up with a twist tie and add a decorative ribbon and have the nutritional info on hand in case it's needed. icon_smile.gif

tdybear1978 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 20

how do I figure out nutrional info.? I mean I know exactly what and how much goes into the recipe but how do I figure stuff like fat, carbs, calories?

gr8cakemaker Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:25pm
post #6 of 20

I think the bagging with a ribbon idea is really good. But I dont think the nutrition list is necessary, just the ingredient list would do fine. The baskets that I have received, most of the items do not have a nutrition list on them. It is VERY difficult to figure out which vitamin or how many calories are in the product, so I would leave it out so that there are no mistakes made. Good luck!

gr8cakemaker Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:27pm
post #7 of 20

Oh BTW the health department for my state (NC) requires that I include an ingredient list for my cakes, but a nutrition list is not required or even recommended. HTH

tdybear1978 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:39pm
post #8 of 20

thank you very much everyone. I would really prefer to stick with the bags also. Should I get some kind of ribbon for the bow (so it is not just a twist tie) or use curling ribbon?

littlecake Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 6:23pm
post #9 of 20

i have a storefront shop in oklahoma, as far as i know, you don't need to have the nutr. info.

kelleym Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 6:24pm
post #10 of 20

I would use decorative fabric ribbon, like from Michael's.

tdybear1978 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 6:30pm
post #11 of 20

littlecake where are you at?

yeah I was also thinking the prettier ribbon too

littlecake Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 7:51pm
post #12 of 20

i'm in muskogee....remember that awful song? ha ha ha

tdybear1978 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 7:58pm
post #13 of 20

do you have a bakery? I am in moore. how has business been for you?

OhMyGanache Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 9:07pm
post #14 of 20

If you need or want to print nutrition labels, you can do so for free by going to nutritiondata.com.

bizatchgirl Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 9:23pm
post #15 of 20

I was surprised to see recently that allrecipes.com has nutritional values for many (if not all) of their recipes. You could try to find a recipe there that is similar to your recipe, and post those nutritional values as a 'suggested' guide for your brittle.

littlecake Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 12:04am
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdybear1978

do you have a bakery? I am in moore. how has business been for you?

i have a small storefront cake bakery on york st...(come by if you are ever in town)...

business has been BOOMING.....i'm way up from last year.....i opened in 2002.

they say the sale of sweets spikes during a recession....that sure has been the case with me. ....i try to keep things affordable, yet still profitable for me, after all those years working at other peoples bakeries, i'm pretty fast, and i pass on the savings....

when the health dept came to inspect ...there was nothing said about posting nut. info...i'm so glad...what a pain!

bettinashoe Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 12:22am
post #17 of 20

I don't think specialty bakeries have to post nutritional information, from what I recall. Hey tdybear1978 and littlecake, I'm also in Oklahoma. Are there any cake clubs here locally? I haven't found anything in this area and have been going out of state for events.

Bettina

tdybear1978 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 4:37am
post #18 of 20

bettina, where in OK are you? I do not know of any cake clubs around here but would love to know if there is one somewhere

littlecake business has been great here also. I have only been open for just over 2 years now and have been surprised at quickly it has grown

bettinashoe Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 11:38am
post #19 of 20

I'm in Bartlesville, a a few hours away from you. I just haven't found others in OK and was really surprised to see that there are two bakeries in the "area." We need a cake club!

shanasweets Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 3:13am
post #20 of 20

ICES had a day of sharing recently in stilwater. They are planning another in April. They do this about twice a year they said. It was really fun.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%