Ultimate Lemon Pound Cake Flavor

Decorating By CakeDiva70 Updated 10 Dec 2008 , 7:05pm by CakeDiva70

CakeDiva70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva70 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 5

I baked Elvis Presleys Favorite Pound Cake yesterday, and it is very good. I have a Christmas order for a Lemon Pound cake, so I added the following:

1TB Crème Bouquet
1TB Lemon Emulsion
1TB Lemon Extract
½ TB Butter Flavor
2 TB Lemon Zest
3 TB Lemon Juice from actual lemons

I divided batter into two parts and added lemon pudding to one. It still only had a hint of lemon taste. My husbands sense of taste is stronger than mine, and he said he could taste the lemon. I just dont want her disappointed with the results. Do you mind sharing how you flavor your lemon pound cake or lemon cake? Also, can you share a nice glaze or something to pour over it.

Many thanks in advance. icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 5

I use lemon oil, which is a boyajian flavoring. You can get it online but I think that they sell it at Williams Sonoma here, too. They have a line of citrus oils thta come fromt he rind of the fruit so they're stronger than lemon extracts. It give a really nice flavor without being too overpowering, but you can't use it to flavor icings because it's too strong for that. In baked goods it's good, though.

CakeDiva70 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks, I will try lemon oil........

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 5

I use the zest of 2 lemons, the juice of 2 lemons and 1 teaspoons to 1 Tablesoon (depending on how lemony I want it) of home-brewed lemon extract (you can use store bought if you want).

Additionally, I typically also make a lemon glaze with the zest of 1 lemon, juice of 1 lemon, and 10x sugar. I've also made a lemon syrup by making a simple syrup with lots of lemon juice, and soaking the cake with it.

I just use a classic pound cake recipe - since it's butter based, no need for butter flavoring. I do add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract just for balance.

To brew your own lemon extract: Pack a 1 pint mason jar with just the peeled zest of lemons (as much as you can fit in) and fill with rotgut vodka - cap and let sit in a dark cupboard for a couple weeks, and it will be ultra-lemony. You do not have to peel all the lemons at once - you can add the zest as you use the lemons up for other things (but if you're making lemonade or lemon curd, you'll get most of the way there - otherwise, fresh lemon juice freezes well)

CakeDiva70 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 7:05pm
post #5 of 5

Wow! Thanks for the information..........I will try this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%