True Red Icing....too Thin....grrrr

Decorating By lvspaisley Updated 9 Dec 2008 , 3:56pm by lvspaisley

lvspaisley Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 9

Hey Guys,

Well, I needed to make some true red buttercream icing. I made it yesterday afternoon, hoping it would redden up. I used a whole jar of no taste red (the big jar), several dollops of Americolor Super Red, some fuchsia, and today, I added some Americolor Red Red. It's only a little darker than tomato soup red. Grrr. I don't need a whole lot, but I would rather use my own buttercream than the wilton tubes, although I bought those just in case.

So I have two questions:

How can I get it redder?

It's thinned a lot since I've added so much color...can I stiffen it some with a little powdered sugar or will that decrease the red color?

Ah, mission impossible!

Thanks icon_smile.gif

Kristi

8 replies
KHalstead Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 9

if you need to stiffen it definitely add more powdered sugar it will be fine......you can also try adding just a touch like one little drop of americolor black to it and that helps to deepen and darken the red. I just made some red the other day with americolor red and squirted it in there and it got super dark! I mean it's like a deep blood red now (2 days later)

kakeladi Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:02pm
post #3 of 9

It has thinned because of all the stiring you had to do.
Yes, it willk darken over time.
I cannot repeat it often enough:

Dark &/or intense color like red, navy blue, brown, blk all need to be made days ahead so the color has time to develop.
Also it's best to start w/a base color instead of white. Like for red use a base of pink, orange or yellow. For brown & black the best thing is to flavor it w/unsweetened chocolate before adding blk or brn paste/gel.
Also for black save all your dibs and dabs of colored icing no matter the color in one container; store in fzr as you add to it until you need blk. Now mix up well - it will be an ugly color but never fear just add your blk gel and it will almost instantly turn blkicon_smile.gif Even if it is 'just' charcole gray once you pipe w/it it will look black I promiseicon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 9

Powdered color can also be quite helpful.

arosstx Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 9

I couldn't agree more w/ kakeladi! I think everytime someone has a dark color issue, I am on a crusade to post something in response.

For black, just get it to dark charcoal. Sometimes after just a couple hours you'll see it go black. For red, get it a dark pink - same thing with any color. I did a Dallas Cowboys jersey and needed navy - iced it while it was kind of just blue, and look http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1292815&done=1

It saves you money too, because you're not using near the amount of color. And it doesn't thin out the icing so much either!

Hope this helps,

arosstx Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 9

Amen to the powdered color comment from leahs as well. Great stuff, and fairly inexpensive.

tiggy2 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:51pm
post #7 of 9

Chefmaster liqua gel colors instantly ..........no waiting, no bitter taste and it takes very little. The colors are concentrated and very vibrant.

lvspaisley Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 7:00pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you all!!!

I am going to try the Chefmaster colors. Where on earth do you buy powdered color?

Also, my red is red now. But my green is ARMY GREEN! Ah well, I have a tube of kelly green wilton I can use for the trim work.

lvspaisley Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 3:56pm
post #9 of 9

My red was red! Christmas red! I put it on the cake, and it turned DARK RED after 2 hours but it's still Christmas RED in my bowl, with the lid....

What happened??? icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%