I'm A Dork! Can't Get Anything Right!!!

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 9 Dec 2008 , 3:10pm by Trixyinaz

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 15

Man, what is wrong with me lately. I can't get anything right!!!

I made my half and half cake on Saturday. Torted it and filled it last night. White side was filled with lemon filling, chocolate side filled with an oreo filling. It looked great. Grabbed the top half of the cake and slid it on top. Perfect!!!! Until I look down. I must have turned the cake around while filling it and didn't realize so when I put the top cake on it, I put the chocolate side on top of the white side and the white side on top of the chocolate side. So now my cake looks like this.

Left half is chocolate cake on bottom, oreo filling with white cake on top
Right half is white cake on bottom, lemon filling with chocolate cake on top

They left everything up to me flavor wise and my husband says it will be just fine. So I iced it as usual. But now I'm thinking otherwise. I'm gonna have to bake another cake tonight when I get home from work, make new filling and do it right. This cake is due tomorrow morning.

Has anyone had a chocolate cake filled with lemon filling before? Does it taste good....is it yucky? Should I redo this? Thoughts??

Seriously, after this, I'm ready to bang my head against the wall.

14 replies
grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 15

Personally, I would re-do it....... if it were the same filling, it wouldn't be so bad, but a layer of chocolate, then lemon, then white....... uhhhh....... I'm not so sure........

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 15

I have to admit, I am laughing so hard right now. That's something I would totally do!!! I've never had chocolate cake with lemon filling, it sounds a little like an odd combo. If you have time, I might suggest rebaking. Any chance you can just take it apart and redo it rather than rebaking? I'm thinking you might be able to scrape off the icing and filling and put it back on right... I don't know actually, that might be too much work, you'll probably end up with alot of crumbs.

Trixyinaz Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 15

Thanks grama! That's what I thought and its for work and I don't want them to get a bad cake. It's gonna be a long night. I got to work and started getting a migrain. Let's hope it passes so I can totally focus on this cake tonight without being a total wreck.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 15

Had a customer order a chocolate cake with lemon filling once....first thought way yuk.....but made it to her specifications and tasted the 'scrap' pieces with some left over filling and was totally surprised how good it tasted! Never would have expected that!

Trixyinaz Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 15

Stephanie - I'm glad I can make someone laugh b/c trust me, I wasn't laughing last night!!! DH asked if I could just lift off the cake after I put it on the filling. My concern is that that top half will still have some of the wrong filling on it and I'm afraid it would be too much of a mess. I'll just rebake. I'm gonna go to the store for more ingredients at lunch so that when I get home I can start immediately. Here's a rough timeline...I hope I can do this....

6 pm - prep the pan, soak baking strips
6:15 - get all the ingredients out
6:25 - make the chocolate batter
6:40 - make the white batter
6:50 - throw in the oven

Clean up batter mess

7:00 - make new lemon filling - chill on ice
7:30 - make new oreo filling - chill on ice
7:45 - take cake out of the oven
8:30 - wrap cake in saran wrap and stick outside to "chill" - should be around 28 degrees at that time
8:40 - make icing
8:55 - separate batch and color

Clean up filling and icing mess - put child to bed (I'll need to feed her somewhere in between, too)

9:15 - pray cake is totally chilled and tort
9:20 - dam and fill cake
9:30 - place top cake on CORRECTLY!!!!
9:35 - clear away crumbs and ice cake and then decorate.

Maybe I can be done by 11....because I'm sure I'll have lots of interruptions with a 4 year old....aargh!!!!!

Have I left anything out?

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 2:57pm
post #7 of 15

I used to love the lemon filled chocolates that were in boxes of chocolate. Orange citrus goes with chocolate, why can't lemon citrus?

Trixyinaz Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 2:58pm
post #8 of 15

Hey Bisbee Queen! I'm originally from AZ so I'm assuming your screen name is short for Bisbee, AZ? Anyway....it tasted good?

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:01pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbqueenb

Had a customer order a chocolate cake with lemon filling once....first thought way yuk.....but made it to her specifications and tasted the 'scrap' pieces with some left over filling and was totally surprised how good it tasted! Never would have expected that!

Without knowing the shape, can you cut off a piece and do a taste test? You just might surprise yourself and like it enough to leave it as is!

Trixyinaz Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:03pm
post #10 of 15

PastryJen - I know orange goes great with chocolate...never thought it would be good with lemon.

Parable - now why didn't I think of this sooner!!! I had some lemon filling (left over) and forgot I had a choclate cupcake left over to (hid them so DD and DH wouldn't scarf them up in one sitting). So, I called my DH and asked him to put some lemon filling on the chocolate cupcake and eat it and tell me what he thinks. I'll report back.

Trixyinaz Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:26pm
post #11 of 15

He just called! It's a no go. He said the two flavors just didn't work well together. I'll just suck it up and make a new one. I'll save the oreo half, but throw away the other half. I just hate serving somehting I haven't tried before.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:33pm
post #12 of 15

I just had a thought... I know the bottom layer will be thinner than the top going this route but what if you just rebaked the cake... took the top layer off the existing cake and replaced it with the new cake, re-ice and you're good to go. With any luck, the filling will still be intact and you can just put the cake on top.. It might be worth a try to take it apart while your cake is baking, that way you might avoid having to make the fillings over again and potentially torting a warm cake if it doesn't cool quick enough. does that make sense?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:39pm
post #13 of 15

on a side note, once I had a caketastrophe and had to rebake and all and chilled it outside like you plan (it was around 28 too oddly enough) and I stuck the cake in a bakery box outside and after half an hour it was cool on the outside but had some residual heat inside so I torted it in half and stuck the two halves ope with the inside of the cake facing up and it steamed like crazy but then I still that outside in a box and within like 10 minutes they were completely cool to the touch so you might take that into consideration with your cake because it's hard for that heat to escape from the inside especially if you're wrapping yours in plastic wrap!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 5:24am
post #14 of 15

I hope everything worked out for you Vicki and you still manage to get some sleep!

Trixyinaz Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 3:10pm
post #15 of 15

Hi everyone! Thanks for all your help.

I went home at lunch yesterday and made the oreo filling and lemon filling. Then when I got home at 6 pm, I started baking immediately. This time I used the WASC for the white cake and my usual scratch chocolate cake. BOY! My chocolate cake was done at 45 minutes, but once again, the white cake took FOREVER to bake. I covered the chocolate side with tin foil and ended up baking for like another 15 minutes. I was really worried, but I think they came out okay.

I let it cool on the rack for 10-15 minutes then flipped them out. A portion of the white cake stuck to the bottom of the pan, but I easily took a spatula and lifted it off and pieced it back together. Phew! I let it cool for another 30 minutes before placing it on the cake board.

So I put it on the cake board and lightly put saran wrap on top then stuck it in the box and set it outside. 15 minutes later I look outside and it RAINING!!!!! Someone is seriously testing my patience. That was the only box I had.

So I bring the cake in, wipe off the box and lay it flat to dry. The cake seemed unharmed, but it was barely cool so I shoved it in the fridge. About 30 minutes later, I took it out of the fridge and torted it. It was still warm inside but I just left them cooling on the rack and within 10 minutes they were totally cool to the touch. Made my icing, filled the cakes, reassembed (correctly this time) and got to decorating. I finished about midnight, and let me tell you, I am exhausted this morning. I took pictures this morning and won't be able to post until tonight when I get home. It's nothing fancy and I did it all in buttercream. I just didn't have it in me to do any fondant decos, plus, they weren't paying me for it.

Thanks again for all your help. Now the delima is what to do with the CAKEtastrophe (love that word Stephanie)!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%