Colouring Handmade Flowers

Decorating By Jenz28 Updated 12 Dec 2008 , 3:16pm by JenniferMI

Jenz28 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 10:26am
post #1 of 6

I was wondering if anyone had any advice about colouring handmade flowers.

I tried chalk but it looked powdery and when i mixed it with water it looked powdery.

5 replies
costumeczar Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 1:44pm
post #2 of 6

Get some petal dust that's made especially for flowers, it goes on better than chalk. You can get it at any cake supply store, most likely. I get everything online because I have no decent shops near me. Depending on how you put them together, you can also use a candy glaze that you dip the petals into after dusting them, and that gives them a nice shine. You can also steam the flowers a little after dusting them,. Make sure the gumpaste is totally dry and hold the dusted flowers over steaming water for a couple of seconds at a time until the chalkiness goes down.

I also use an airbrush to color some flowers, and I've seen videos where Ron Ben-Israel uses the petal dust first, then airbrushes them to give them more depth.

kakeladi Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 6

You don't mix powdered colors w/water......use alochol such as vodka or Everclear.
But why didn't you color the fondant? They using dusts/powders will look good.

superstar Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 6

I color my paste & then dust. Chalk works very well but you must scrape it very finely so that it is a powder, I use an Xacto blade. Steam the finished dried flower, be careful not to steam too much or the flower will melt. If you want more of a shine, confectioners glaze is great, diluted a little with the thinners. I use Vodka to mix with any dusts if I want to paint.

Carolynlovescake Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 6

I've used chalk, watercolor, pear/luster dusts, and food color markers.

It just depends on the effect I want/need for that flower as to what I'll use.

JenniferMI Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:16pm
post #6 of 6

Non-toxic chalks work well as do the petal dusts sold for cake decorating. They should apply well, could be the brush you are using?
When doing darker flowers, I start out with the paste colored in that shade but any others, I just start white and dust away. Steaming does help to blend and set the colors but when you apply it, it should look good from the start. Feel free to e-mail me if you have more questions

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%