What's Wrong With My Fat Daddio's Pans???

Decorating By vita752001 Updated 8 Dec 2008 , 10:20pm by SILVERCAT

vita752001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vita752001 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 8:36am
post #1 of 8

Please help me!!! Has anyone ever had this problem before??? I was sooo frustrated, I had a problem baking my genoise with my new Fat Daddio's Pans last week. I was trying to bake with the 12" hexagon and 8" round. Somehow the cakes couldn't baked completely. They're all sink in the middle. I used this recipe all the time and I've never had this problem before. I didn't have problem when I baked it with my FD 14" hexagon. But not sure what's happened, that day I tried sooo many times to bake only 2 layers of 12" hexagon and 2 layers of 8" round. I tried to bake them at 325F and 300F, with and without baking strip, conv. and regular oven. Even though FD recommend to bake only at 325F, I even tried to bake it at 350F for the 8" round to see what happen. Can you imagine how many eggs, butter, sugar etc.that I wasted. I finally could save the 12" cake even though I knew they're not completely perfect ( a little bit sink in the middle) but I had to buy a cheap 7" square pan at the local store (I couldn't fine the 8" one) and wala...nicely done. I am really sad now, what should I do with all my FD's Pans, I have a set of hexagon, petal, square, and round. I though I invest the right pans icon_cry.gif

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:09pm
post #2 of 8

Well, don't know exactly what to tell you other than MAGIC LINE PANS ARE THE BEST.

I own 1 FD pan. There won't be any more in my pantry.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 8

I have not had any problems with my Fat Daddios pans...in fact, I like them BETTER than my Magic Line. Sorry, leahs.

Contact Greg at Fat Daddios--he may have your answer. I know when I first used mine, I had difficulty with them getting too done. Called Greg and he told me that FD are best at 325. Reduced my temp and cakes come out wonderfully.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 8

I bought a whole set of FD square pans (never have used them yet) ranging in sizes 4" to 16" for a square wedding cake only to get the pans and see they're not perfectlly sqare (website I ordered from didn't mention it!) but I have a couple 7",8",9",5",3" rounds from FD and I love them (which is why I ordered the square ones) if your cake is sinking in the center I'd wonder if your oven is changing temp. during the baking. Were you opening the door a lot?? I know when I'm impatient for a cake to get done and I check it a lot it tends to take forever and always sinks! If not while it's in the oven then when I take it out!

Rachael1013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachael1013 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

MAGIC LINE PANS ARE THE BEST.

I have to agree with leahs. Magic Line bake true and even every single time. Maybe you could sell your FD pans on Craigslist or E-Bay. You could at least recoup a little of the cost.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 8

One of the best things about Magic Line are that they do not require any special handling. I do not need a few pans that have to bake at 300 when every other pan performs perfectly at 325. That just means I have to use a second oven for FD pans. It has definitely been stated on here that FD pans perform best at 300.

There was a previous "brouhaha" on here with a comparison of pans. I don't want to see that repeated.

vita752001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vita752001 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you everyone. I'll try to contact Greg first. Hopefully I don't have to sell my pans, honestly they look very nice and well made. Now I don't feel I want to bake anymore with those pans, too scared to see what will happen.

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 10:20pm
post #8 of 8

They don't have MAGIC LINE on them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%