Help! What Should I Do?

Decorating By CakesbyBecca Updated 8 Dec 2008 , 3:59pm by kakeladi

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 7:31am
post #1 of 3

Like I mentioned in a previous post, I am making a cake this week for my step-grandma, but the party is 600 miles away. I want to do as much ahead of time as possible so that I can enjoy my family while I'm there, instead of spending my whole vacation decorating a cake. My design is pretty simple, two-tier blue with white RI snowflakes. Here's my problem: I spent a couple hours piping snowflakes tonight and within an hour, most of them had cracked in at least one place. Is it even possible to pipe RI snowflakes, drive them 600 miles and then transpose them onto a cake in one piece? If so, how? If not, any other ideas on how to achieve the same kind of look?
TIA!

2 replies
fchevel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fchevel Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 8:20am
post #2 of 3

you can make thicker snowflakes using colorflow!

like these:

http://flickr.com/photos/madbaker/2128149227/

these are cookies, but just the icing bit or pipe the snowflakes really thick sorta like these ones:

http://flickr.com/photos/yuma_couture_cakes/3077578808/

when your transporting them put cotton pieces to cushion them in a container and get someone in the car to hold the container instead of leaving it at the back or something!

good luck thumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 3

Did they crack while drying ? One hour isn't really enough time for drying in my opinion icon_smile.gif Why did you try to move/lift them that soon? Did you pipe them on plastic wrap? It's far better than wzx paper.
If you can, turn them over - even the cracked ones - & pipe over them to thicken/strengthen them. You might be able to save many of them.
For traveling - be sure they are in a box in *one layer* on non skid stuff (shelf liner) and put them where nothing will fall on them. I don't suggest someone holding them......just put them level on the floor or in the trunk. For that long a trip if someone is holding them they can easily forget and move/bump them & break the whole shabangicon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%