Fondant Covered Cake Decorating Time Question

Decorating By jewlsjahl Updated 8 Dec 2008 , 3:50pm by leah_s

jewlsjahl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewlsjahl Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:48am
post #1 of 5

I am new to baking and cake decorating, so in order to keep my cake fresh I usually start decorating the night before the event and find myself staying up until 4am sometimes and rushing the next day to get things done. I know my cakes would come out so much better if I had more time.

These are my concerns:

After covering a cake with fondant can I put it back in the fridge? If so, is there anything I should be doing to it before doing so.

I've heard of cakes taking three days to decorate and I just wonder how the cake is stored when it is not being decorated.

Any tips??

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 5

There is no need to wait until the night before. You can bake up to 3 days before and once it is covered w/icing (fondant or b'c)it will stay fresh w/o refrigeration. Actually refrig'ing makes the cake dry out faster! Store in a cool, dry place where it won't be in the way.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 5

Ditto. The ONLY reason to refrigerate a cake is if you have used a perishable filling. I don't use those.

jewlsjahl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewlsjahl Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you! Can you give me some examples of non- perishable fillings? I am not sure if what I use is perishable. I've left it out for a day as an experiment and it seemed fine, but I'm not sure.

I usually use Frostin Pride (non-dairy whipped cream).

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 5

The sleeved fillings are shelf stable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%