Fondant Problems-Checking And Cracking

Decorating By thecakelady071656 Updated 10 Dec 2008 , 6:12pm by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

thecakelady071656 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakelady071656 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 4:37am
post #1 of 5

I have been making cakes for over 30 years and started using fondant about 3 years ago due to pressure from my customers. I continually have a problem with "checking"on the edges and cracking at various spots on the sides of the cakes. The checking is visable when smoothing the fondant on the cake. The cracks seem to appear hours later. I fill and crumb coat the cakes and then add a thin layers of butter cream before applying the fondant. I just did a 4 tier wedding cake. I had to stack the bottom three tiers early in the day (about 10 a.m. for a 3 p.m. reception) to do some fondant ribbons on the sides. I had several cracks on the sides of the bottom layer. I have tried kneading it with the mixer (which really helps with air bubbles), rolling it alittle thicker. I can't figure what I am doing wrong. I appreciate any help. Also is there any way to "repair" these cracks?? I am sending a picture. I don't have a close up of the problems, but thought it might help if you saw the cake. As most cake decorators, I am a perfectionist and do not like delivering a cake with any problems.

4 replies
Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:41am
post #2 of 5

I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean by checking? The cake looks fabulous, I don't know what you're stressing about!! But I'm like that too; just remember that the people you're making cakes for are not cake decorators, otherwise, they'd be making them themselves. They are not going to see every little imperfection that we do.

I'm wondering a couple of things about the cracking though.....are you using a crusting, or non-crusting bc underneath the fondant? How thick/thin are you applying it? And what consistency would you say it is? I'm also wondering if you're giving your cakes enough time to settle after crumbcoating, since the fondant is heavy and will cause them to weigh down some. What type of cakes are you using.....dense, carvable ones, or light and fluffy ones? I wouldn't use light cakes just because of the weight issue, but this is all just my two cents.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 5

What a beautiful creation you have createdicon_smile.gif After studying it very well I think I ccan find one or two slight flawsicon_smile.gif As the other gal said, the average person won't notice them!

I think I know what you mean by checking - many call it elephant skin. From my limited experience it means your fondant is a bit too dry. Are you rolling it on a surface dusted w/powdered sugar or cornstarch? Try *very lightly* coating your surface w/Crisco instead. I prefere to use the thick vinyl to roll mine out on.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 5

Not sure what the checking is? And i do not see nay cracks! Are you making the fondant or buying it? Cracking would be from cake settling, fondant stretching or your dowels being set down too low.

Beautiful cake!!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 5

To repair it, just dab a bit of crisco or shortening on it. Got that from Sugarshack and recently saw it on Sugar Rush too. icon_smile.gif

Your cake is lovely! I can only wish I'm able to make cakes like that. icon_smile.gif and welcome to CC!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%