Dense Chocolte Cake??

Decorating By cakesforfun Updated 16 Aug 2005 , 2:22pm by llj68

cakesforfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesforfun Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 3

I'm somewhat new to cake decorating and am looking for any hints/tips on getting a nice dense chocolate cake. It seems that mine are so airy and cakes that I've got from local cake decorators in the past are a nice, dense, heavy cake. I've heard to give your pan with batter in already, a good couple taps on the counter top to release air pockets but that just isn't doing that job. Also, I've used either Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge, or Pillsbury cake mixes.

I'm doing a 11x15 cake tonight for a birthday and would appreciate any suggestions.

2 replies
tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 3

Everyone has their tips that works for them...

I always use milk instead of water in my mixes and I also always add an extra egg. Some suggest buttermilk in place of the milk, butter in place of the oil.

You will have to find what works for you but you'll have lots of yummy fun trying!

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 2:22pm
post #3 of 3

Personally, I don't use BC or Pills because I don't like the texture of the cakes--they get really airy and crumbly for me.

Recently, I tried the DH Dark Choc Fudge mix and used the recipe on the side. I believe it has an extra egg and a small box of pudding added (I used Chocolate Fudge pudding). I tried it and I'm going to make it my "standard" chocolate recipe from now on. It's quite dense and very moist and delicious. HTH and good luck!!

Lisa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%