Finding A True Red? Help!

Decorating By kansaswolf Updated 9 Dec 2008 , 5:53am by kansaswolf

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 1:57am
post #1 of 4

I've been trying to get some bright red (Holiday red? Rose red?) luster dust lately and have been having little luck... I don't need it in a rush, but I have a wedding cake in early May that is to have RED gumpaste roses on it. I have bought Tulip Red, Super Red, and Claret colored luster dusts. The Claret was closest, but all of these were still rather pink, even fuschia, in my opinion... I just want something the color of the red school glitter we all remember being covered in this time of year... icon_lol.gif Anyone got any good leads for me?

My plan for now is to spraypaint my roses with food coloring and add minimal amounts of either Claret or Super Pearl for some shine... But I'd love to get some other ideas... icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:10am
post #2 of 4

The way I get a true red ( a Christmas red) is to start with burgandy and then add no taste red. It makes a prefect red

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 9:38am
post #3 of 4

I try it last night icon_lol.gif , Burgundy and then, no taste red, and then Christmas red and Bam!!! I got it. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 5:53am
post #4 of 4

Well, I can get the FLOWER red, I'm just looking for a red DUST as well... But thanks for the info! I'll have to try it that way too... icon_biggrin.gif And perhaps invest in that Americolor everyone's always talking about?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%