What Is Your Cake Ocd?

Decorating By Tita9499 Updated 15 Dec 2008 , 5:53am by Idreamofcakes

candynumber1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candynumber1 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 6:38pm
post #31 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galler

My name is Rayelle and I have a problem...

I hate anything that is not edible that I have to have on or in my cake...I know it is unavoidable most of the time...but I don't have to like it. icon_cry.gif

HI MY NAME IS CANDY AND I HAVE A PROBLEM........
OMG! I CANNOT STAND TO SEE A CAKE WITH ANYTHING YOU CANNOT EAT! EVEN IF NO ONE IS GOING TO EAT THAT PART. I JUST CAN'T SEEM TO DO IT. I ALSO STOP TO WASH ANYTHING THAT'S DIRTY AT LEAST 2 TO 3 TIMES WHILE PREPARING A CAKE. I JUST CAN'T TAKE IT!

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 6:39pm
post #32 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondiezBakery

I am not considered an OCD person, as I am messy by nature and destroy my kitchen and clothes everytime I make a cake.

However, I suppose I have a few.

#1. Ditto to the camera/pictures. My 'stage' has to be perfect, and typically clear of all background distractions. Also, take around 10 pictures of every cake until I get the 'perfect one'.

#2. Think about the things that I could have done differently...and continue to discuss them even after the cake is done. Drives my DH batty!

I'll have to be with Blondie on this one! Seems I am 'messy by nature' too!! I can totally relate!!
But, I guess I am OCD because I can't stand it when my husband comes in while I'm decorating and he says "don't you think you should......blah, blah, blah........" GRRR!!!!!!!! But, turns out, some of the
time he is right!!!!!!! I also see all my flaws, and wonder why people think the cake is so great!!!!!! I also don't want anything inedible on my cakes........that should be enough to start with.........

My name is Susan...........and yes, I do have a problem!!!!!!!!!!!

BlondiezBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlondiezBakery Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 6:45pm
post #33 of 75

ha ha...smartin icon_smile.gif I am glad to hear that not everyone is a 'neat freak'. icon_smile.gif I am a perfectionist and clean...but tidy/organized/or ocd-clean...are not terms to describe me.

My DH does the same 'helpful commenting' on my cakes. Last night he tried to tell me how to build a topsy turvy! HA HA HA. I said 'honey, I have a list of instructions to follow...and it is kind of complicated, but thanks for your help".

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 6:49pm
post #34 of 75

It is so nice to have a cake OCD support group, I feel more normal now LOL. I have issues:

- Constant hand washing for germ protection and because I can't stand even a spot of ingredients on my hand and constantly wiping down work surfaces
- kids breathing in the kitchen while I'm decorating - what if they're coming down with something - I'm always telling them "Don't breath near the cake", if they must look, I'd rather they just turn blue while lookingicon_smile.gif
- DH making complicated design suggestions when he doesn't even know how to set the oven
- DH & kids like magnets to the kitchen when I start leveling a cake, hoovering and asking when they can eat the scraps (ok, I admit, annoying and flattering at the same time)
- I also have to fix any little spot I don't like, many times making a worse spot to fix
- Being my own worst critic

amielyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amielyn Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 7:03pm
post #35 of 75

I am accused of having multiple OCD issues, including:

If someone sits on my bed, I must change my sheets (yes, even if they didn't actually touch the sheets!)
When someone around me sneezes or coughs, I hold my breath to a count of 20. (I don't know why 20, just seems like a good number)

So you can imagine my cake issues!! Here are my biggies:

1) It takes a good 10 minutes for me to get a cake straight on the cake board. Sometimes I even get out my ruler to measure the space on each side!
2) Definitely cannot do "random." Everything should be equally spaced
3) Agree with others that the cake does not match what I envisioned. I can see it in my mind, but it does not translate to the finished product.

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 7:12pm
post #36 of 75

Thank you so much Cake Central OCD club members!! we should make patches!

k2cakes: #s 1,2,5
amielyn: sneezes - eewwww!
travelingcakeplate: #1

I hate the 10X sugar dust everywhere
Questions or suggestions from the kids, husband, anybody
random designs
greasy anything: bags, tips, spatulas, etc.
Overdoing it on the pictures. I wind up deleting almost all of them anyway!

But, all in all, if you have to accept your OCD- at least its because of something sweet and delicious.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 7:45pm
post #37 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCmomof3boys

- DH making complicated design suggestions when he doesn't even know how to set the oven

I don't care who you are, thas funny right there!

My husband is a soldier, why does he think he can come into MY kitchen (softly) in his house, and tell me how I should roll out my fondant. I just freeze in my tracks and slowly look up at him with my head cocked to the side and stare at him blankly until he realizes he just made the biggest mistake of his life. He's 6'4" weighs a good 250#, but shivers in his combat boots when he crosses me while decorating.

I just remembered two more ISSUES:

1: I hate it when I'm rolling out fondant and my finger nail scrapes the sugar/cornstarchy counter...ewww!

2: Scraping down the mixing bowl and paddle, because it seems like I can never get all the batter off the paddle (NOTE: you don't HAVE to get ALL the batter back in, just most of it)

PS: I just wanted to let anyone who has been officially diagnosed with OCD that I hope I'm not offending anyone with this post. I truly think everyone has an OCD trait in them somewhere, they just won't admit it. And it's not a problem ya'll, it's what makes us special (at least that's what my mom says. LOL!)

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 8:08pm
post #38 of 75

This is truly a great thread! Glad to see I'm not alone freaking out when my hands get too much stuff on them and powdered sugar all over the counter and floor.
My worst OCD thing is dirty dishes in the sink or anywhere in my 'working area' especially greasy ones - ick!
Oh, no I just thought of another one! I made 40 Christmas mice for a party Saturday night. I'd make a few and then count them, make a few more then count all of them again, then decide maybe I miss-counted, so count them again. I must have counted them 25 times before I actually got all forty of them finished!

No husband giving me helpful hints - thank goodness!

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 8:11pm
post #39 of 75

Oh yes, definately ocd....

no breathing near my cakes, and honestly if you can't breathe, do you REALLY think I will let you stick your finger in any bowl?!?

my dh walks in, looks long and hard, hmmms and turns around to walk out. Uhm no, if you are going to hmmm..out with it or better yet.....STAY out with you!

No breathing, touching, or hmmming in our kitchen.

Julia

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 8:21pm
post #40 of 75

my OCD is crappy pictures of really pretty cakes... it drives me crazy when the cake is not as good on film as it is IRL. Anything you cant eat on a cake, bubbles in my BC, and hair in frosting! Ick.

TyTy78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TyTy78 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 8:25pm
post #41 of 75

My name is Ty and I have cake OCD...Hi Ty!

Well I have to admit that I have all of the above, but the ones that really bug me are:

1. Anyone in the kitchen with me while decorating and baking, doesn't matter if they are asking questions or not....Someone in my kitchen ANNOYS me...esp DH because he always has to add his two cent in b/c he knows something about everything..even when he knows NOTHING!!

2. When I get a cake order I obsess about until it is completed. It consumes my whole day (and I have a full time job). I think about it, talk about it, dream about. All my conversations ALWAYS end up about cake in some shape form or fashion!

I'm glad to know that I am not alone out here, my family thinks I'm nuts. Glad to have my CC family that can relate to me.

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 8:40pm
post #42 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTy78

My name is Ty and I have cake OCD...Hi Ty!

Well I have to admit that I have all of the above, but the ones that really bug me are:

1. Anyone in the kitchen with me while decorating and baking, doesn't matter if they are asking questions or not....Someone in my kitchen ANNOYS me...esp DH because he always has to add his two cent in b/c he knows something about everything..even when he knows NOTHING!!

2. When I get a cake order I obsess about until it is completed. It consumes my whole day (and I have a full time job). I think about it, talk about it, dream about. All my conversations ALWAYS end up about cake in some shape form or fashion!

I'm glad to know that I am not alone out here, my family thinks I'm nuts. Glad to have my CC family that can relate to me.

Oh Lord! Me too!!!!!!! I totally obsess about a cake until I finish it!!!!!!!!
Sometimes I think people say "will she just SHUT UP about cake"????
I also have a full time job, and it is HARD to work and think about cake all day!!!!!!!! icon_confused.gif

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 8:52pm
post #43 of 75

This is awesome!

I know that its been covered, but I always think about how it tastes first. I would rather spend HOURS trying to smooth BC then use fondant because I don't like the taste of fondant. I see these awesome cakes that look like ships or dragons or whatever and my first thought is "yeah, but how does it taste?"

I don't like it when people complement me on a bad cake. I am still doing alot of free cakes for the experience and I hate it when I make a bad looking cake and people are trying to tell me what a great job I did! It feels fake.

I am a space hog. Even if I have used up every inch of counter space possible, I know where everything it. Please DONT come into the kitchen and start moving my stuff around! Then I can't find anything!

HeheHe those are mine!

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 9:03pm
post #44 of 75

[quote="TyTy78"]2. When I get a cake order I obsess about until it is completed. It consumes my whole day (and I have a full time job). I think about it, talk about it, dream about. All my conversations ALWAYS end up about cake in some shape form or fashion! [quote]

That reminds me of a conversation I had recently with a friend....

We were discussing my flyer and it said re: children's cakes "dream it, create it"....she says " Well, I don't know...who actually DREAMS about cakes....I don't ever dream about cake".....Huh?!? I dream cake DAILY....not always good dreams but seriously......what does she know...love her to death but sheesh who DOESN'T drema in cake... icon_lol.gif

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 4:34am
post #45 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

I actually have OCD... I was diagnosed (three years LATE) with Post Partum OCD~ here are some of mine (I like to call them "quirks" icon_rolleyes.gif)

1. handwashing... no one can ever accuse me of handling food
with soiled hands. Washing constantly while baking for someone.
2. public bathroom germs: (pround "foot flusher" and I touch nothing
without a paper towel. (I do not have this issue with family/friends)
4. crumb coating: I might as well set aside an entire evening icon_rolleyes.gif
5. checking faucets/lightswitches/stove/door: at night mostly
6. People handing my food: no thanks! icon_razz.gif

I'll stop there, but overall I am actually a very well adjusted person. icon_smile.gif

Yes, I'm quoting myself... my # 3 disappeared and it started to bug me... here it is

#3. People who don't wash their hands when they stick their fingers in
their mouths. (then try and shake your hand...)

~ People I don't know asking to use my bathroom... (I know it's only human, but I've had bad experiences with people in my bathroom)seriously, I'd rather go to the dentist.

~ People (in public restrooms) who "rinse" with water - NO SOAP... what is that!!!! You think they'd at least put on a show in public...

~ Until recently (because I started getting "attitude") I always asked people to wash their hands when entering our house. I don't know where they've been... do you??? Our hospital recommends doing that... I wouldn't be offended, but I guess it offends people.

~ when people try to convince me that all germs are OK... well, studies show that more fecal bacteria exists on shopping cart handles than toilet seats... NOT the kind of germs I want.

I'll take good ole outside dirt anyday of the week. icon_rolleyes.gif

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 2:53pm
post #46 of 75

I've been saying I'm OCD about cakes for years! Sometimes- ppl will ask how on earth did I do that with all the little details... I just smile and say I'm OCD "Outta Control Decorator"

1) don't walk in my kitchen with your hair down...even if your hair is up- seriously think twice before you come in just to get a glass of water! If you are my dd, and you walk thru the kitchen with a brush-and I have a cake out- I WILL rip your head off...If you have friends over- don't even LOOK in my kitchen!! icon_smile.gif

2)Hands- I wash em a million times- with bleach..bleach and more bleach...

3) Don't watch me do a cake- even from behind me- I feel it- It drives me crazy-makes me nervous!

4) Don't come in and say it's pretty while It doesn't look good yet- I KNOW just you (my kids) want something!

5) Symetrical cakes- I know I'm the odd one out here- but I hate symetrical- I hate squares- and anything lined up that is in the center! Four perfectly matched corners--or 3 perfectly lined up stacked squares...NO-no NO!

6) I will work and work and work on cake- and I will hate it if it doesn't match the cake in my head.

7) I take 20 or 30 pics of each cake at every angle- and it always looks terrible in the pic! I see it and say I swear it didn't look like that in real life!!!

icon_cool.gif details..details...details...if fondant is supposed to look like cloth- it has to have seams..I do itty bitty details that I would be amazed if anyone noticed them- but I have to do them! A button must have holes, hand writing on a banner must have dropshadows-wood must have nails...I can go on but I think you get the gist.....

9) the foil- must be perfect on the bottom too- and really really tight. I will tear it off and do it again if it isn't!

10) airbrushing- if it is 3'd and it doesn't have shadows- it doesn't look real enough.

12) edges of 3/d cakes-- my edges are never square- I will carve them down to nothing before I leave a sharp edge! round round round...and flowing...

I should stop now...but there are way more...I'm a freak- a cake freak and I know it!... ANYONE KNOW OF A GOOD REHAB???

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 4:11pm
post #47 of 75

I have a problem with random too.

Other than that, I must be pretty laid back. My kitchen is usually a mess from decorating cakes the previous night (especially at the end of the week). I don't stress much over handwriting, things on my hands, colors, designs, washing utensils immediately, etc.

But....one thing I have OCD about is new post/pm/comment emails I get from CC. I CANNOT let them go. I HAVE to stop whatever I'm doing and click that link to see what it is.

augustaharrison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augustaharrison Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 4:32pm
post #48 of 75

My name is Augusta and I as well have cake OCD...my number one thing I have to agree with is people watching me or asking questions. Please just leave me alone!!! If I need help or input I will ask. My other two are: I can not do random either...it never looks right, and my other is that everything in my kitchen has a place that I personally selected...don't move anything and put stuff away where it belongs-not where you think it should go. My DH and I just moved and got in a huge fight because he decided to move things from one drawer to another...not a good idea. Same way with my fridge...everything has a specific place, don't stick the leftovers on the condiment shelf.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 4:34pm
post #49 of 75

I have a problem with spatula marks on tops and sides of cakes. I even went out and bought a stainless steel cement trowel to help keep my cake tops smooth.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

lisa78332 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa78332 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 5:01pm
post #50 of 75

Hello...my name is Lisa and I am an OCD addict.

I agree with many others posted here as well. And I seriously think that I may go to prison one day. Headlines in the paper will read "Cake Decorator gets 10 years" It'll be about a decorator who beat her husband to death with a decorating spatula for attempting to tell her how to smooth buttercream. ....yes, he did this last night, I looked at him blankly, slowly put down the spatula, and told him that if he could do it better than me, he is more than welcome to it. Then I went off on how he could at least make sure that his dirty clothes is IN the laudry basket and not on the floor next to the laudry basket, instead of looking at me while I decorate.... some nerve...I"m telling you all.. one day, you may see that headline on AOL, Yahoo, MSN or someplace like that.

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 5:19pm
post #51 of 75

to lisa78332 - OMG! your husband does that too with the dirty clothes? I just don't get it. There is a large opening. Just put it inside! The guest bathroom thing - I know it is supposed to be for guests, but I hate when they use it. I can't help but think about the germs! I am running in with my clorox cleanups as soon as nobody sees me.
back to cake OCD...I haven't done a straight buttercream finished cake in a while because I obsess about the spatula marks. good old fondant covers a multitude of marks. Cake OCD rehab? As long as I get my 10pm slice of cake and glass of milk!!!

lvspaisley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvspaisley Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:36pm
post #52 of 75

I am so glad that someone started this thread LOL

I am OCD in the following ways:

Smoothing is my number one...I will smooth, and smooth, and smooth and STILL not be happy.

I cannot stand to load the decorating bags because I often get icing everywhere and then it gets on my hands, which grosses me out, which means I have to wash them over and over again.

I hate that the powdered sugar poofs out of the kitchen aid. Grrrr.

I too cannot stand to have stuff sitting around. I keep a sink full of hot, soapy water to dump it all in as I go.

icon_smile.gif

tiawanna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiawanna02 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:10pm
post #53 of 75

Just for starters....Janet you have every right to be OCD, your cakes are freakin awesome!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif.

Hi, I'm Tawonda and I have Cake OCD:

1. I hate a dirty work surface, I'm constantly cleaning...
2. Sometimes I feel like the bags can never be clean enough.
3. I hate measuring shortening.
4. And everything else mentioned in the forum

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:14pm
post #54 of 75

It absolutely makes my teeth grind and a chill up my spine like fingernails on a chalkboard when I have to mix and knead the last cup of ps into my gumpaste. Aaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhh.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:22pm
post #55 of 75

Hey Janet Brown!! How are yah!!! Love your work!!! anyway.....I too have OCD.Here are a few things I don't like also...

1. Can't stand icing in my mouth...ewh..I spit it out!!

2. Hate cleaning the mess up after decorating.

3. Don't come over,Ask to come in,Come in for coffee when I have cakes to decorate..Grrrr.I had a friend ask if she could watch me..Ahhh..NO....I don't want you to see my ugly mistakes...only I know the trouble some cakes have caused me..

4. Hate..Hate...Hate making icing!! Could I have a icing Elf please!!!

5. By the way can I have a baking Elf too!!!

6. Ah.... heck, Can I have a Cake Fairy to wave her wand and clean up my whole kitchen while she is at it? Yeah..I know...asking too much!!!

Lee9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee9 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:27pm
post #56 of 75

Lisa78332, my husband did the same thing while I was working on my first wedding cake for my brother's 10am wedding, which I was in and had to be at the church dressed and ready by 9am, but that is another crazy story. Anyway while I was obsessing about trying to smooth my first wedding cake my husband came in and asked why I couldn't get it smoother, I gave him the same suggestion, JUST TRY. He picked up one of my spatulas and walked toward the 14" tier I was finished with and said he'd fix it. Blood was almost shed! I'll save you a bunk in my jail cell.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:42pm
post #57 of 75

JanetBme...............Holy cow, your cakes are AWESOME!!!!

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:43pm
post #58 of 75

icon_redface.gif Double post icon_redface.gif

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:51pm
post #59 of 75

Hi, my name is Kristin and I have OCD.

I agree with everyone above and their OCD ways!!!

In my house my kitchen is the center of everything. It separates my kids from both the front door and back door. I get soo tired and want to rip heads off when I hear are you done yet???? I am really surprised mu children have made it to their teen years....

My 16 yr old son likes to give me hypothetical questions when I am decorating like... what would you do if I fell into the cake or what would you do if I accidentally ate one of your cakes during the night while sleep walking???? (My son doesnt sleep walk) I always ask well what would you do if you lost both your legs and couldn't play football anymore??? He seems to get the hint for that moment but seems to forget our discussion when it's time for the next cake!!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 9:38pm
post #60 of 75

mommakristin.............my husband comes in and says "judo chop!" and pretends like he's going to karate chop whatever cake I'm working on, whether I'm icing it or prepping it to take a photo.....he thinks it's funny! You'd think he'd catch on that I'm not laughing!........men

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%