Am I Wasting Time Covering Cake Boards?

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 8 Dec 2008 , 9:10pm by mommyle

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 12:08am
post #1 of 12

Anybody here use plain old wax covered boards?

I have been covering regular boards with doilies and foil for years, but I am wondering if I could be saving myself a lot of time and effort by just using the waxed ones.

Do you think they look just as professional?

11 replies
lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 12:14am
post #2 of 12

I only use doilies when lining a plate. I use the silver or white cake drums. I get them at Michael's or order them from Decopac. I put the cake on an ungreased circle first.

HTH

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 12:19am
post #3 of 12

No.

I think a board should be as pretty as possible. I use doilies and stuff. If I use foil, it's food safe or I use a board cut to fit under the cake and then the larger foil covered board under that.

An old boss used plain cardboard circles, no doilies-- talk about naked looking forlorn freaking orphan cakes.

I make my boards as cool as I can.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 1:25am
post #4 of 12

I believe that a naked board can greatly detract from the beauty of a cake. The board should either be unnoticeable or complement the cake.

My bottom layer is always on a cardboard circle that has been cut slightly smaller than the layer. After my frosting has been smoothed or my fondant has been applied and smoothed, I transfer the cake, including the cardboard to a larger cardboard circle that I have covered with greaseproof decorative foil. For special cakes, I assemble multiple cardboard circles to create a thicker, custom board as seen in this photo.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 2:39am
post #5 of 12

Thought you might find this thread interesting...

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-596114.html

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 8:41am
post #6 of 12

I always cover my boards. I think it is incomplete if you don't, as said above. You put so much work and timei into a beautiful cake, why have it sitting on a plain silver, gold or white board. I always use fondant or scrapbooking paper covered, and always a ribbon around the base.

Just my opinion.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:20pm
post #7 of 12

I use cake drums for the bottom board.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:30pm
post #8 of 12

The only cakes that I don't cover the board are sheet cakes...........and maybe just maybe regular iced rounds that are for birthdays that aren't really too decorated. But almost always if it's not a sheetcake I at minimum make it a couple layers of cardboard rounds and add some ribbon to the edge, but I prefer to cover the cake boards, but I sell cakes to a local cake deco. store and people that order from there are looking for wal-mart cakes but don't want to drive the 25 min. to wal-mart so generally those cake orders don't get ribboned boards or anything (plus I make less on those cakes, because I give the store owners a 10% cut of every cake.......not their idea, it was mine because they were contemplating closing down because they don't get much business for supplies besides me.....plus I figure they're fielding the phone calls for the cakes, and sitting there all day for the people to pick them up, all I do is make it and drop it off to them when I feel like it and I'm done) anyhow

I think you should just about ALWAYS cover your board or use a cake drum. Just the naked waxed cardboard circle can really make an awesome cake look terrible!

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:57pm
post #9 of 12

I was more specifically talking about sheet cakes. I think most of the board is usually covered with cake.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 8:59pm
post #10 of 12

I make so little profit on sheetcakes that I don't bother covering the boards I think on 2 occasions I put ribbon around them and that was because one was for a 50 anniversary and one was a bridal shower...........usually though, I don't bother with covering boards on sheetcakes.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 9:08pm
post #11 of 12

I think it makes a more "finished" product..... like someone really cared..........

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 9:10pm
post #12 of 12

I like to cover my boards. I've covered them in fondant, buttercream, and now in modeling chocolate, also in wrapping paper and cellophane. I think that the plain board is okay, but can really detract from the look of it. At least use the foil wrap.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%