Placing Rolled Fondant On Cake...?

Decorating By gd23 Updated 9 Dec 2008 , 3:49am by mommakristin

gd23 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 10

hi everyone...im surious to know how everyone else transfers their rolled out fondant onto their cake?

at the moment it is a tricky situationfor me to try and get it on the cake without it tearing...

does anyone have a certain technique they use?

im thinking of rolling it out on a sheet of flexible plastic, making sure it doesnt stick, then sliding it onto the cake...do you think this will work?

9 replies
Cake_Princess Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd23

hi everyone...im surious to know how everyone else transfers their rolled out fondant onto their cake?

at the moment it is a tricky situationfor me to try and get it on the cake without it tearing...

does anyone have a certain technique they use?

im thinking of rolling it out on a sheet of flexible plastic, making sure it doesnt stick, then sliding it onto the cake...do you think this will work?

That's what I do 95% of the time.

gd23 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 10

ok great...at least know i knoe that method will work! icon_smile.gif

AsburyArt Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 10

I roll out on a minimum amount of 10x. For tiers 16" round and under 4" tall, I slide both hands, palms down, under the fondant, lift and drape. Larger tiers, higher tiers, and odd shapes require my 4 ft "broom handle". I lightly dust the top with 10x and roll it up onto my broom handle. Then unfurl over the cake.

With practice, you shouldn't need "gimmicks" for smaller tiers. If it's really warm and humid, and your fondant is being a PITA... then maybe. But that is an exception.

tracey1970 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 2:19am
post #5 of 10

I roll out mine on a fondant mat VERY lightly greased with shortening. I then pick up the mat off the counter with my hand/arm under the mat, flip over the fondant, centring it onto the cake, and SLOWLY peel off the mat from the fondant. I start smoothing the fondant onto the cake with my hands first and the fondant smoother (dusting with corn starch as needed to do that part). I find the shortening keeps the fondant moist and it helps me avoid cracking and tearing. I do roll mine out a bit on thicker too because I find it less apt to tear that way.

cathie_shinnick Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 2:32am
post #6 of 10

I roll mine in cornstarch then roll onto the rolling pin, then onto the cake. dont know if it will help, but good luck

gd23 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 2:50am
post #7 of 10

thanks everyone for your help - you guys are so great!

PinkZiab Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:15pm
post #8 of 10

I roll it back up onto my rolling pin and then unroll it onto the cake and go!

gd23 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 3:33am
post #9 of 10

but doesnt that crease the icing?

and how do you stop it from sticking to itself on the rolling poin?

mommakristin Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 3:49am
post #10 of 10

I use the Ateco blue silicone mat that Sharon with Sugarshack uses. I used to use my hands and my countertop but I have cried many a cake trying to not tear my fondant. Using the mat is WONDERFUL!!! Just a little shortening to coat the mat then roll away. Once it's the size I need I flip the whole thing (mat and fondant) onto the cake. Then slowly peel the fondant from the mat. Works great! No more tears!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%