Switching Over To Vegan And Raw Vegan Wedding Cakes

Decorating By quilting2011 Updated 10 Dec 2008 , 12:43am by mom2owen1

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 18

I have switched to baking/ decorating only vegan and raw vegan cakes. Any bakers want to share raw vegan cake ideas. I use only organic icing. Decorate cakes with fruits, and nuts. No artifical/chemical ingredients.

If anyone cc members that bake vegan or raw vegan cake, let's share. I'll post my pictures next week.

I plan to attend the Living Light culinary Institute in Fort Bragg, CA to take classes in raw vegan pastry/cake. I completed the weekend bakry/pastry program while living in NY

This is a complete 180 degree switch but I guess after seeing many friends with health issues and a friend who was so allergic to nuts, allergies and and flour I makde a cake for her. She and her husband was so excited to have a wedding. cake.

Stacie

17 replies
bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 18

Buntdiva, I've been looking for a vegan and soy free cake recipe. If you come across anything, please think of me icon_biggrin.gif

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:21am
post #3 of 18

I would love any recipes you have too! I have to do a carousel cake in January, and they want it to be vegan. What do you use instead of eggs??

Thanks!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:39am
post #4 of 18
bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:40am
post #5 of 18

Thanks, Jamie85364. I bookmarked it so I will always have it icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:42am
post #7 of 18
kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 2:46pm
post #8 of 18

Hello,
I am also a completely vegan baker (we are a vegan household), and use organic as much as is available in our area.

I've looked at vegan bakery websites for ideas, asked questions (there are many more vegan bakeries than you'd think around the world)

Good luck ~ it would be nice if we could keep this thread going... icon_smile.gif I've tried to start threads like this in the past and they die out too fast...

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 2:53pm
post #9 of 18

Thanks for posting this topic, I have actually been wanting to switch to vegan/all natural cakes as well, where I live though finding those products to make the cakes are hard to I would have to order in bulk off the interent and I just don't have enough business for that. I am interested to see what others have done.

mom2owen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2owen1 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 3:06pm
post #10 of 18

I am not a completely vegan baker, but around 80% of my cake orders are for vegan cakes. The two cakes I get asked for over and over are:

Chocolate: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Vegan-Chocolate-Cake/Detail.aspx

Vanilla: (posted at the end of message)

mamacc - it is easier and more successful to use a recipe that doesn't call for eggs. although recipes with eggs can be converted using egg replacers. there is a commercial egg replacer called Ener-G, it is a powder. I have had more success with these replacers: (1) 3T ground flax with 1C water. my friends and i have various quantities we use this in. i use the whole mixture as 1 egg but they use 3T of it as one egg. i guess it depends on the recipe and how much liquid can be tolerated. (2) 1t baking powder, 1.5T oil, 1.5T water. for both these replacers i mix up the ingredientes in my magic bullet, but a food processor or blender would work. in a recipe calling for more then one egg, i use some of each of the two replacers above.

what i am interested in figuring out is natural colorings. care to share what you use everyone? i am not sure i can afford to do all my cakes with natural colors, but i have some clients who would gladly pay extra for the option!

kris

vanilla vegan cake -
1/2 cup soft soy margarine
2-3/4 cups all-purpose white flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup soy milk
1/2 cup water
1-3/4 cups sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Spray two round 8" x 1-2/3" pans with Pam, or lightly oil and flour. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Combine flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside. Mix Egg Replacer and 1/4 cup water and set aside. Mix soy milk and 1/2 cup water, and set aside.

In large bowl of electric mixer, beat soy margarine until it is creamy, about a minute. Gradually add sugar until well creamed. Beat in vanilla. Add mixed dry ingredients and mixed soy milk/water alternately to creamed margarine, sugar, and vanilla, beating after each addition. Begin and end with flour mixture. (Add flour in 4 steps, liquids in three.) Add mixed Ener-G along with the third addition of liquid. Turn evenly into pans.

Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes, or until done (wooden pick inserted into cake comes out clean). Remove from oven and let cool on cake rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and let cool on rack until cold. Frost as desired

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 3:32pm
post #11 of 18

This is interesting. My family is not vegan or even vegetarian, so I don't cook/bake that way. I've never even had someone inquire about it. I guess I didn't really realize there were so many out there on vegan diets. Is it mostly an allergy issue or more of a moral (for lack of another term) issue? Just curious.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 5:25pm
post #12 of 18

Thanks for posting the recipes and advice Jamie and mom2owen!!! That helps a lot! Does whole foods usually have the egg replacer?

And what's the deal with shortening?...Is it ok to use high ratio or not?

Eliza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eliza Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:34pm
post #13 of 18

Some nice raw recipes in here, hope you will find something.

http://goneraw.com/taxonomy/term/31

__Jamie__ Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:50pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

This is interesting. My family is not vegan or even vegetarian, so I don't cook/bake that way. I've never even had someone inquire about it. I guess I didn't really realize there were so many out there on vegan diets. Is it mostly an allergy issue or more of a moral (for lack of another term) issue? Just curious.

I'm no expert, but from what I understand, there are basically two types of vegans. Those that do not consume meat, or anything that is a result of an animal being slaughtered. Then, there are those who in addition to that, don't consume eggs, dairy, or anything containing animal byproducts, like lard and shortening.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:57pm
post #15 of 18

I am a vegetarian, all my cakes are pure vegetarian i.e. no animal ingredients including glycerin etc. but we do consume dairy but no eggs. I have an excellent recipe for eggless cakes that is the mainstay of my business but it would be great to learn others...for the ever elusive soft soft eggless cake!! Great move Bundtdiva!

kellertur Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:14pm
post #16 of 18

[quote="Jamie85364"]

Quote:

I'm no expert, but from what I understand, there are basically two types of vegans. Those that do not consume meat, or anything that is a result of an animal being slaughtered. Then, there are those who in addition to that, don't consume eggs, dairy, or anything containing animal byproducts, like lard and shortening.

We are strict vegans.
By definition, you are not vegan if you consume ANY animal derived products (eggs, dairy, honey usually included, sugar processed with bonechar, gelatine) or even wear (leather, wool, silk, etc. ). It does seem to get confusing with so many people claiming to be vegetarian yet they still eat meat. (But it really ends up being a matter of semantics, when fish, chicken, ect become involved.) icon_wink.gif It's not an easy transition to make to vegan, without doing a lot of research...

In my humble opinion, you either are or you aren't ~you are either a dairy/egg eating vegetarian or Vegan. icon_smile.gif

kellertur Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 11:34pm
post #17 of 18

I just realized how "superior" my last post sounded... icon_redface.gif
NOT at all intended. What I meant to say was:

There is no way to be a 100% certified vegan, we just do the best we can. (car rubber, glue, etc...it can all have hidden animal ingredients). The idea is to do the least amount of damage and cause as little animal suffering as possible - hopefully none...

sorry for the sermon... icon_rolleyes.gif

mom2owen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2owen1 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 12:43am
post #18 of 18

I buy the Ener-G egg replacer at a locally owned health food store. We don't have a Whole Foods so I haven't been there but I would imagine they would have it.

Quote:

Within my circle only one family is truly vegan. Most of the families have allergies. So, in my experience vegan cakes are ordered because of a combination of a member of that one family will be attending the event and at least one person will be allergic to eggs or dairy.

I often bake not using the flax seed egg replacer i mentioned because there are a couple people that are at most events that are also allergic to flax seed.

Kris

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%